Option 1: Create a New Profile
Assistant Controller, Analysis & Reporting
- Job Title
- Assistant Controller, Analysis & Reporting
- Job ID
- SEBASTOPOL, CA 95472
- Other Location
Guayaki Organic Brand Yerba Mate is the #1 selling brand of yerba mate, a new, on-trend, caffeinated beverage category. Our team of cebadors (servers of mate) are working to make organic, fair-trade yerba mate the mainstream drink of choice and prove that a company can be profitable while operating sustainably. As an organic beverage company, Guayaki’s mission is to steward and restore 200,000 acres of South American Atlantic rainforest and create over 1,000 living wage jobs by leveraging our Market Driven Restoration business model. This business model directly links our customers’ purchases to our partner farming communities that harvest the organic yerba mate used in our products. To ensure our success and that of the South American communities we support, we seek a professional with a solid understanding of accounting, a good balance of persistence and poise, and a superb attention to detail.
Assistant Controller - Analysis & Reporting
Guayaki is expanding, and we need someone that can expand with us! Success in this role will require you to assist the Controller in many phases of ongoing accounting management, plus focus on financial statement analysis and reporting. You will also perform the following responsibilities:
Please attach your resume and a cover letter telling us why you would be a great fit working at Guayak!
- Assists with implementation and improvement of accounting systems, policies, and procedures.
- Assists with management of accounting functions including but not limited to accounts receivable and credit memos, accounts payable, and notes receivable.
- Assures accurate and timely monthly closing; works with team to decrease days to close.
- On an ongoing basis, performs the following:
- Weekly accounts payable review and assistance with weekly check run. Monthly expense report review and processing.
- On a monthly basis, manages the following:
- Reviews and approves journal entries; establishes and monitors journal entry approval process.
- Maintains, reconciles, and administrates certain general ledger accounts.
- Prepares monthly entries and reconciliation of subsidiary expenses.
- Prepares journal entries related to Notes Receivable.
- Reviews bank reconciliations, prepaid journal entries, A/P and Other accruals, and journal entries and reconciliation of loan/interest accounts.
- On a shared, bi-monthly basis, manages the following:
- Prepares or reviews monthly entries and reconciliation related to certain general ledger accounts, including CRV payable, sales & use tax, and other accruals.
- Reviews reconciliations of fixed asset ledgers and ensures all items are properly capitalized and depreciated.
- Reviews reconciliation of Guayaki Mate Café accounting.
Analysis & Reporting:
We will rely on you to perform ongoing analysis and reporting of company financial data, by performing the following duties:
- Analyzes accounting information on an ongoing basis, to identify entry errors and update them for close. Devises new methodologies (e.g. Internal Controls, NetSuite workflows) to overcome repetitive errors.
- Periodic (monthly, quarterly, annual) review and analysis of balance sheet balances and income statement amounts, and fluctuations therein, including comparison with budgeted and historical numbers. Obtains analysis of Inventory and Cost numbers from Assistant Controller, Inventory Specialist.
- Provides support in formulation of strategic financial plans (e.g. cash flow, budgeting).
- Assists in computation of product prices, and upkeep of Price Lists in NetSuite.
- Creates, formats, saves and distributes financial and/or management reports for distribution using NetSuite financial software.
- Holds quarterly Budget to Actual meetings with regional Sales Team members and other stakeholders. Incorporates comments and corrections, as required.
- Performs technical tasks for the collection, interpretation, aggregation, and evaluation of data.
- Creates documentation for reports and queries for management and colleagues.
- Establishes databases of pertinent information for use in analyzing future plans and forecasts.
- Identifies trends and recommends improvements accordingly.
- Provides management with reports specifying and comparing factors affecting prices and profitability of products or services.
- Supervises the work of accounting department staff.
- Assists with coordination of annual independent review and related supporting schedules.
- Documents and reviews internal controls, and provides suggestions for implementation of control improvements. Aids in preparation for company/financial statement audit-readiness.
- Assists in the implementation of new or updated software applications, as required.
- Assists with special projects as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Supervises the work of certain accounting department staff.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or equivalent.
- Four to six years related experience and/or training.
- CPA license or background desired but not required.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite, with advanced skills in Excel.
- Skilled in data manipulation.
- Familiarity with NetSuite highly preferred.
- Working knowledge of financial reports.
- Competence in duties and tasks of accounting staff.
- Working knowledge of internal controls and financial statement review/audit process.
- Ability to work with all levels of management.
- Extreme attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills; able to manage priorities and workflow.
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm.
- Proven leadership and business acumen skills.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and motivate colleagues.
- Commitment to excellence and high standards.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive pay, depending on experience and credentials, and an exceptional benefits package. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible environment for our employees, where people can learn and grow with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.