Youth Worker (Residential Counselor)
- Job Title
- Youth Worker (Residential Counselor)
- Job ID
- Anoka, MN 55303
- Other Location
Volunteers of America - MN is hiring for an exciting opportunity as a Residential Counselor! This is a great opportunity to work with troubled youth and make a difference! Flexibile schedule, competitive compensation and great experience! Applicants from multiple industries considered!
Responsible for the supervision and management of the program residents. Accountable for the implementation of treatment plans and documentation of resident's functioning within the treatment environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Promotes and assists in the development of a wholesome, orderly and therapeutic living environment for the resident.
- Provides and participates in recreational, educational and social activities that meet resident’s physical, intellectual, and social needs.
- Provides life skills training and management s directed by the need of the program participant (e.g. sex education, drug education, relaxation techniques, etc.)
- Plans and coordinates special functions and free time on the unit.
- When required, drive a program participant to events in the organization’s van.
- Provides medication administration to program participants.
- Observe, report, and document as defined by program, accurate and reliable information regarding resident behaviors and actions.
- Effectively communicate and interface professionally with all members of the treatment team, program participant families and other outside professionals.
- Clerical Skills
- Assists in the planning, development and implementation of individual treatment plans and programs.
- Assures situation assessment and interpretation is responsive to individual program participant needs.
- On a routine basis, exercises good judgment in regard to responding to program participant’s needs.
- Participate and moderate program group meetings.
- Facilitate effective group treatment sessions with residents.
- Provide individual and personal counseling on as needed basis.
- Create a safe and therapeutic atmosphere.
- Provide a healthy and appropriate model for residents to emulate.
- Assures proper medical care is provided as needed by residents.
- Crisis Intervention
- Respond appropriately, as prescribed by program, to crisis situations as they occur.
- Understand and apply principles, as determined by program, of behavior management.
- Implement agency’s restrictive technique program as trained.
- Personal Growth & Development
- Know, understand and follow program and organizational policies, rules and procedures
- Learn and work within the center’s treatment philosophy.
- Display proficiency working with staff and residents of different cultural and/or gender backgrounds.
- See Job Responsibility Addendum for specific position requirements
- Assures program participant privacy is maintained by being knowledgeable and following HIPAA privacy and security regulations.
- Possible overtime.
- Must be able to work regularly scheduled working hours.
- Other duties as assigned
- Works under general supervision.
Decision Making Authority/Self-Initiative:
- Decisions are not those directly related to management or general business operations
Professional relationships to be maintained:
- Residents, families, center staff, school personnel, community professionals.
- High School Diploma/GED
- BA/BS in Social Service Field preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work with a diverse population of individuals by using tact, diplomacy and flexibility.
- Basic math skills are required for this position.
- Creative problem solving
- Decision making
- Independent judgment
- Behavior management; limit setting.
- Crisis intervention techniques.
- Valid drivers license with a good driving record.
- At all times dress in a manner that is functional, clean and appropriate.