||Duties and Responsibilities: Collects, codes, verifies and processes payroll information and related transactions. Answers questions from customers, government agencies and payroll administration companies, maintains records and files; and provides technical support to assigned area. May serve as lead worker.
|Condition of Employment: A valid Georgia driver’s license is required and must be maintained while employed in this position. |
As part of the pre-employment process, all candidates must pass a comprehensive background investigation, which includes a review of credit history, driver’s record and criminal history.
DDS employees, in the event of an identified emergency, may be required, as a term and condition of employment, to assist in meeting the emergency responsibilities of the Department. In addition, in an emergency situation, they may be required to perform responsibilities that are not regularly assigned to them in order to continue the operations of the agency.
|Job Responsibilities & Performance Standards: |
Perform job responsibilities with minimal supervision
Serves as job expert or organization resource in assigned areas.
- Carefully reviews incoming payroll forms to ensure that procedures for submitting data are being followed. Promptly alerts appropriate managers of discrepancies.
- Contacts appropriate agency staff as necessary and in a timely manner to inform them of changes in withholding requirements and any changes to data submission that will be required as a result.
- Carefully reviews calculations used to determine withholding to ensure accuracy. Makes appropriate corrections and adjusting entries and notifies impacted parties in a timely manner.
- Reviews payroll deduction data for compliance with current state and federal regulations corrections.
Enter, processes/transmits and proofs payroll data.
- Accurately records data/ transactions in a timely manner and according to established procedures.
- Reviews recorded data/transactions for accuracy of entry and initiates appropriate corrections.
1. Compares records and correctly traces inaccuracies and omissions.
2. Determines and initiates appropriate corrective measures.
3. Accurately records adjusting entries according to established accounting procedures.
4. Completes reconciliations within appropriate time frames.
5. Notifies appropriate authorities regarding balancing discrepancies, problems and/or trends.
Audits paychecks for accuracy of preparation and posting
May administer employee benefits programs and provide information on options, coverage, claims processes, payments, deductions, deferred compensation or other transactions.
- Thoroughly researches applicable data from standard sources.
- Prepares reports according to guidelines for format and content.
- Independently composes and drafts associated documents.
- Reviews and proofreads reports for content, accuracy and consistency and makes any necessary corrections.
- Submits reports in a timely manner and according to established procedures.
Performs limited general clerical responsibilities related to payroll functions.
- Accurately determines gross salary, tax and other deductible amounts to arrive at net salary.
- Accurately enters salary and deduction information and verifies output.
- Accurately prepares checks.
- Accurately completes and submits worksheets/reports on pay check adjustments and hand drawn checks.
- Correctly calculates the amount subject to garnishment or levy based on examination of court documents or other authorizations.
- Properly prepares codes and/or enters document to initiate/change the orders to withhold.
- Provides appropriate and timely information to courts, child support agencies or other third parties as needed.
- Completes/changes garnishments/levy requests in a timely manner.
Processes and enters garnishments, levies, and other court ordered payments into payroll.
- Promptly and correctly remits employee trust balances to appropriate third parties according to applicable laws and guidelines.
- Appropriately reconciles agency trust account balance with third-party records.
Responds to request for information and assistance uses discretion to maintain confidentiality
Reviews and/or reconciles payroll records, identifies errors and makes corrections.
- Provides accurate information regarding benefit programs to employees, Appropriately researches questions and responds courteously and promptly.
- Uses appropriate methodologies to inform employees on changes and updates on benefits and deduction information. Distribute appropriate materials in a timely manner.
- Accurately and clearly explains benefit options and obligations to employees on leave without pay. Notifies them when payments to retain coverage are due.
- Provides an informative and comprehensive explanation of benefits options to new employees.
Verifies time and attendance records, and computes/reconciles employee deduction for wages, taxes benefits and other withholding.
- Makes applicable adjustments to health insurance billing and premium payments.
- Accurately reconciles premiums to health insurance billings.
- Remits checks, adjustments, forms and relates documents to state health insurance office with applicable timeframes.
- Provides accurate information regarding health insurance policies and procedures to employees and/or payroll/personnel representatives.
Maintains payroll file information/ Provides records to others as needed. Uses discretion to maintain confidentiality. (Performed by all incumbents)
- Accurately processes retirement data and paperwork for new employees, retiring employees,, and/or survivors of deceased employees. Accurately completes data changes.
- Completes pre-certifications and certifications for years of service on prospective retirees.
- Correctly computes and prepares journal voucher for employer contribution owed to retirement system for forfeited leave on retiring employees. Submits forms for approval and remits check to retirement system.
- Prepares monthly retirement report balancing to labor distribution. Remits check and supporting documentation to retirement system.
- Provides accurate information to employees and personnel/payroll representatives on retirement benefits.
- Accurately prepares monthly/annual reports in a timely manner.
Performs limited general clerical responsibilities related to payroll functions. Responds to requests for information and assistance. Uses discretion to maintain confidentiality of records. (Performed by all incumbents)
- Maintains complete, accurate, and readily accessible files that conform to applicable policies, procedures, guidelines and standards.
- Regularly purges files in accordance with policies on record retention.
- Maintains confidentiality of records, files and other documentation.
- Provides requested records on a timely basis.
- Coordinates and prepares records for shipment and storage for the State Records Center.
Prepares and /or analyzes periodic reports and reconciles contents with agency records. Examples might include certified payroll, health insurance, retirement benefits or related reports. (Performed by all incumbents)
- Completes routine payroll-related forms, such as unemployment certifications, W-2’s, W-4’s or stop payment requests.
- Correctly performs other routine clerical functions.
- Responds promptly, effectively and appropriately to requests from others for payroll-realted information and assistance.
- Processes pay checks for distribution in a timely manner and according to applicable procedures.
Maintains positive working relationships between personnel services, data processing, and payroll so that pay documentation is processed in time to prepare employee paychecks.(Performed by all incumbents)
- Correctly analyzes report data for discrepancies with agency data. Determines reasons for discrepancies.
- Initiates appropriate action to correct identified discrepancies.
- Identifies significant discrepancies or trends revealed by report data and takes appropriate corrective actions.
- Accurately records adjusting entries according to established accounting procedures.
- Reviews and analyzes appropriate files, records, information, or other material necessary to generate reports.
- Accurately prepared and audits complex tax, payroll, multiple fund source, or related reports.
- Notifies supervisor or others promptly of significant discrepancies or trends.
1. Conducts discussions in a professional and courteous manner.
Provides other units with sufficient lead time on information requests to maintain positive working relationship and ensure information is delivered on time.
Obtains input from supervisor, as necessary, to resolve conflicts with other units.
Acts as liaison between the payroll section and other government agencies, consultants and other outside businesses in resolving problems or providing/obtaining operational information, documents and assistance. Maintains confidentiality of employee records. (Performed by all incumbents)
- Thoroughly researches requested information.
- Responds to requests for information promptly and with accurate and appropriate information,
- Strictly follows established procedures related to confidentiality of data. Verifies questionable requests for information with supervisor.
- Represents the organization in a professional and courteous manner.
Sample Technical Competencies:
- Ability to review data for accuracy.
- Ability to determine reasons for discrepancies and correct identified discrepancies.
- Ability to compete routine payroll-related forms.
- Ability to answer customers’ questions or refer to appropriate person.
- Ability to maintain records and files in accordance with established guidelines.
- Ability to process third party deductions in automated system
- Ability to prioritize work and schedule.
|DDS employees, in the event of an identified emergency, may be required, as a term and condition of employment, to assist in meeting the emergency responsibilities of the Department. In addition, in an emergency situation, they may be required to perform responsibilities that are not regularly assigned to them in order to continue the operations of the agency. |
Use the following link to apply for this position: http://www.dds.ga.gov/DDS/EmploymentOpp.aspx
Click the link that reads “Learn more about available positions with DDS”. Applicant should then create a profile and then click on the position of interest and submit their resume. Then the Applicant will need to complete the Exam that is required to apply for this position, which is found under your profile under the green exam button. Resumes submitted online to The Georgia Department of Driver Service need to have all fields/areas of the on-line resume completed. In addition to the required fields, applicants must also complete any Basic Qualification fields for each job.
Application materials should be filled out carefully and completely. An incomplete application/on-line resume or the required exam with insufficient information may result in an applicant not being considered for a vacancy. Describe your employment background in full.
Resumes will be screened for the training, experience, and/or competencies listed as the Minimum Qualifications for the job. Preference will be given to applicants who, in addition to meeting the minimum qualifications, possess one or more of the Preferred Qualifications.
All resumes will be reviewed and considered, however, all applicants may not be interviewed. No notification will be sent to applicants who are not selected for interviews.
Due to the large volume of applications received by this office, we are unable to provide information on your application status over the telephone.
DDS employees, in the event of an identified emergency, may be required as a term and condition of employment, to assist in meeting the emergency responsibilities of the Department. In addition, in an emergency situation, they may be required to perform responsibilities that are not regularly assigned to them in order to continue the operations of the agency.
NOTE: Information in this announcement is subject to change.
Submit Application Materials to: APPLY ONLINE AT