||Xenia Systems LLC, a rapidly growing services provider headquartered in Northern Virginia has an immediate full time opening for a Health and Safety Manager.
The Health & Safety Manager will be our client’s Subject Matter Expert who will lead the business in best practice in all aspects of health and safety. The role is responsible for leadership, strategy development, and implementation across all areas of the business. The incumbent will contribute to the success of the company by implementing the strategic direction and framework for the management of health and safety initiatives within the U.S., in conjunction with initiatives at overseas corporate location(s). The position is responsible for supporting company leadership to embed a safety culture within the organization and for maintaining certification to OHSAS 18001:2007.
The position operates within a specialist environment and the incumbent is required to use initiative and judgment in contributing towards the development and implementation of national process improvement, policies and practices in health and safety. The issues arising will spread across a wide range of matters and often be of a sensitive nature. The position will be made aware of information that will require a confidential approach to work undertaken. The position must also be involved in assisting and educating managers, so a high level of leadership and pro-activity is required.
Strategy and Leadership
- Work with leadership team to develop and implement the health and safety strategy/initiatives, and safety action plan(s).
- Enhance health and safety leadership capabilities and decision making behaviors.
- Maintain current OHSAS 18001:2007 safety certification.
- Support overseas counterparts to implement the health and safety program and initiatives across the entire corporate structure.
- Develop, implement and improve the process of “upskilling” all employees in the area of health and safety, particularly the North American leader team, managers, Safety Steering Committee Members, Operational forum members, etc.
- Develop, implement, and improve training and education programs.
- Develop, monitor, and update document management framework for the OHS Management System (OHSMS) – aligned with OHSAS 18001:2007 regulations, and overseas standards where applicable.
- Establish an audit and review mechanism for the OHSMS document framework.
- Embed health and safety into the corporate culture and work practices, align with corporate values and focus on safety behaviors.
- Guide and promote employee safety performance by developing safety systems, policies and procedures, safety campaigns and programs to eliminate, prevent, and control work place injuries.
- Ensure that inspections and job hazard analyses are conducted and that corrective actions and/or Safe Work Method Statements are identified and implemented.
- Respond to environmental, health and safety concerns; identify and implement corrective action plans.
- Ensure that all safety programs (lockout/tagout, hazard communication, hearing conservation, personal protective equipment, etc.) are fully implemented and in compliance.
- Coordinate and evaluate Emergency Evacuation Procedures and Drills.
- Lead and participate in various cross functional continuous improvement teams and activities – Crisis Management Team and Ergonomics Team.
- Ensure appropriate risk assessments are conduced and follow-up implemented in each functional area to minimize or eliminate accidents, asset losses, security breaches and environmental issues that might cause harm to one of the company employees, contractors, visitors, assets, or reputation.
- Identify common safety/health hazards and establish guidelines for protection.
- Lead investigation into critical incidents and support the investigation of all incidents including root cause analysis.
- Plan, coordinate, and conduct required audits, surveys, and inspections to identify environmental and occupational hazards, ensuring compliance with applicable regulations, and develop recommendations that provide solutions, remedies, or process alternatives.
- Establish and maintain a robust reporting system for health and safety including targets, benchmarks, and actual results.
- Trend safety metrics, communicate results, and develop strategies and specific actions to drive improvement.
- Establish and educate managers and employees in the use of the OHSMS and other relevant systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in health and safety or related field, or the equivalent work experience.
- Extensive experience leading a health and safety function in a large corporate environment, with exposure to civil infrastructure construction and operational related issues.
- Effective leadership skills and the ability to operate and influence at a senior management level.
- Experience in health and safety system development to include policies, procedures, and work instructions.
- Experience in the development and implementation of health and safety education programs.
- Experience in the direct supervision of health and safety issues along with administration of programs such as Safety Training, Risk Analysis, Incident Investigations, Root Cause Analysis, and OSHA related issues, including but not limited to inspections.
- Knowledge of OSHA 29 CFR 1926 and 1910 regulations and ANSI standards.
- Experience with OSHA, VDOT, MUTCD, NFPA, and EPA regulation requirements.
- Advanced technical training and/or advanced health and safety certification preferred (health and safety audit certification recognized by the International Register of Certified Auditors (IRCA) or certification recognized by the Board of Certified Safety Professionals (BCSP).
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office suite and ideally exposure or experience working with Sharepoint or similar collaboration systems.
- Willingness to work after normal business hours, into the evening, with the ability to travel periodically.