Lead - Embedded Firmware Engineer
- Job Title
- Lead - Embedded Firmware Engineer
- Job ID
- Novi, MI 48377
- Other Location
Embedded Software/Firmware Engineer
Support the development of Software for electromechanical devices.
Notes From the Management Team:
- Ability to develop low-level embedded firmware for electro-mechanical systems. Specifically our product line is: Brushless DC Motors/Pumps, Valves, and Throttle Body assemblies for a variety of automotive OEMs, foreign and domestic, many in the electric car sector.
- Several micro-controller families are utilized, Microchip PIC, Melexis, Freescale, etc. C programming with no RTOS is typical with some understanding of Assembly Language very desirable.
- Ability to read and comprehend electrical schematics to be able to design, develop, and debug firmware for the electro-mechanical system in question.
- A somewhat "green" candidate should have an interest in becoming highly skilled in the field of Embedded Firmware development (which is a highly desirable niche' industry with a small number of players in today's electrical/computer engineering market). Should have some interest in being tutored by an expert with almost 25 years of experience in embedded programming while also being given substantial projects to work on independently, commensurate with individual skills/capabilities.
- In short, this position is an excellent opportunity for a candidate who would like to work on complete projects as part of a very small team as opposed to being given tiny project pieces to work on as part of a large team, thus able to develop skills required to develop complete systems/projects. It's an excellent career growth position.
- If looking at other candidates with more years of firmware experience we would desire an expert in embedded firmware development specifically as opposed to an expert in application software or IT sectors of software engineering.
- Knowledge of or interest in learning 3-phase motor control or understanding of electromagnets highly desirable.
- Candidate should be able to communicate clearly using the industry accepted tools, i.e.: Excel, PowerPoint, Project, etc.
- Strong math skills, with use of binary point arithmetic highly desirable.
- Strong debugging/diagnostics abilities
- Able to use standard electrical engineering lab equipment: Power supplies, O-Scope, Function generator, soldering ability
- Also, I should have mentioned that these electro-mechanical systems communicate with vehicles via: LIN bus, CAN bus, PWM, etc. so knowledge of vehicle communication systems is also highly desirable.
- Develop and debug real-time firmware in C for Microchip microcontrollers (as well as other microcontroller vendors)
- Support design and development of control electronics for pumps and valve (BLDC motor, DC motor controls, electronic valves & sensors).
- Participates in the complete product development cycle, from initial product specification to product release.
- Keeps adequate records and provides documentation on all projects
- Familiarity with automotive communication protocols (PWM, LIN, CAN) and their design implications.
- Familiarity with designing firmware for circuitry that operates over the wide range of automotive temperature and power conditions.
- Support product prototype builds and need to be able to debug prototypes.
- Need to interface productively with PCB design engineer and cross-functional team.
- Insure all customer performance and durability specifications and requirements are met.
- Support Customer related technical issues
YEARS EXPERIENCE: Minimum 3+ years of experience in firmware design for electromechanical devices.
DEGREE: Bachelor s or Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer/Software Engineering with strong electronics background required
- Strong C programming experience with a understanding of assembly language fundamentals required
- Thorough knowledge of 8/16-bit microcontrollers.
- Design/development of embedded firmware for microcontrollers
- Able to read and comprehend electronic schematics with a fair understanding of analog and digital circuitry highly desirable
- Able to work with hardware designer engineers to debug new/untested electronic circuit designs and develop firmware to support and test these designs
- Strong troubleshooting skills and use of firmware debugging tools
- Able to develop firmware without RTOS a plus
- Capable of developing thread-safe firmware and familiarity working in binary point arithmetic a plus
- Comfortable participating in a team firmware development effort by following software design guidelines, development for readability and maintainability, well documented firmware design practices, and participation in peer and customer code-reviews
- Use of soldering iron, oscilloscope, function generator, power supplies, and other standard electrical engineering test equipment REQUIRED.
- Competency in the use of Microsoft Excel for engineering design and data analysis
- Familiar with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint
- Knowledge of firmware development for communications systems, diagnostics systems, and bootloaders a plus
- Understanding of Java programming for the development application tools a plus
- BLDC 3-Phase Motor design experience a plus.
- Practical working knowledge of: FMEA, APQP, PPAP, and DV & PV testing.
- Ability to understand and apply automotive powertrain engineering specifications.
- Ability to work independently and within a cross-functional team environment.
- Good analytical problem solving and critical thinking skills.