Xenia Systems is currently hiring for a variety of opportunities. Please see our open positions below and apply for those opportunities that are interest. If you do not see a position matching your skill sets, please feel free to send your resume to Jobs@XeniaSystems.com
Application Support Lead
- Job Title
- Application Support Lead
- Job ID
- Alexandria, VA 22312
- Other Location
The successful candidate will provide leadership to the Application Support Team. This team comprises of a range of skillsets, to include applications and corporate systems support specialists.
This team provides operational and technology support to a number of essential systems, including:
The tolling system – Back Office System (BOS): BOS Applications Suite is a mission critical system that enables our client to assess usage of road assets operated by our Client. The BOS application suite, represented by a Linux/Oracle environment is typically a 24,7 operation that includes:
- Transaction processing through roadside equipment interphase and Project Host Server (PHS).
- Image Review and Processing using Image Master Server and application server.
- Billing / Violations Processing through Customer Interface and IVR system.
- Reporting using Jasper Pro for system status and financial reporting.
- Batch Script Scheduling & Automation – Over 100 batch scripts run daily.
- Co-Dependent Systems: related critical and non-critical systems to the tolling system, such as a Traffic Management System (TMS).
- Participate in design, testing, commissioning of new systems and enhancements.
- Monitoring System Systems: including incident management, monitoring, service request fulfillment, regular maintenance, stakeholder and vendor management.
- Supervision: Governance of vendors, transferring of Intellectual property and building knowledge management across business.
This role manages enterprise applications that are 24x7 in their availability and operations. A varying amount of after-hours work may be required to perform rostered on-call support of major incidents and support of application related changes in the technology stack and application maintenance activities. The role also includes provision of tactical and strategic direction, engagement with Technology & Business Management and Risk Management.
Maintain Application Availability
- Systems must be available to all users and 3rd party interfaces
- System must be running within Performance Service Level Agreement (SLA’s).
- Ensure new or changed operational processes are developed and documented Application Support Analysts are trained in their execution.
- Identify and resolve application capacity & performance issues.
- Application log file storage and retention is managed at appropriate levels.
- Frequency and duration of application service disruptions are minimized.
- Document schedules, configurations and procedures for all Application activities.
- Planned outages meet applicable SLA’s.
- Data integrity within application is preserved and all concerns and issues are formally raised within Technology Operations and escalated to the business or developer as required.
- Backup type and schedule of all operational application server instances meets business requirements.
Risk and Compliance
- Identify new risk and compliance issues.
- Work with Technical Service Manager to ensure that mitigation is put in place.
- Maintain Risk Register.
Security and Access Control
- Maintain application security and access control as per PCI DSS requirement.
- Ensure patching is performed as required.
- Ensure application standards are established, maintained and followed.
- Support internal and external audits.
Batch Scheduling & Processing
- Batch jobs are completed within scheduled timeframes.
- Batch related incidents are resolved within SLA’s.
- Changes to batch file transfers are completed in accordance with Change Procedures. Maintain and update batch workflows.
- Analysis of errors and warnings arising from batch workflows.
- Monitoring of batch workflows.
- Manage calendars and scheduling of workflows.
- Resolve incidents to meet SLA objectives.
- Restore system service promptly and effectively, while minimizing adverse effect on business operations.
- Ensure Incident Management procedures are adhered to.
- Incidents are actioned based on SLA guidelines.
- All incidents are logged in the Technology Service Desk system and are maintained with accurate, complete and up-to-date information.
- Customers are kept informed of the status of their incident and any applicable workaround.
- Each incident is resolved, mitigated via workaround or escalated to an appropriate team member or the Technical Services Manager.
- Perform root cause analysis. Develop knowledgebase of known errors.
- Ensure all problems are recorded in the Technology Service Desk system.
- Application problems are diagnosed and documented in sufficient detail to enable development of fixes.
- Identify and resolve problems and known errors, minimizing incident occurrences.
- Establish and document workaround, enable more effective resolution of future related incidents.
System Monitoring and Reporting
- Proactively monitor system. Perform daily and periodical health checks.
- Minimum number of incidents is raised from other sources (i.e. Monitoring should identify majority of incidents prior to business noticing issue).
- System reports are delivered on time according to reporting schedule.
- Routine and adhoc reports on application availability, capacity and performance are distributed to stakeholders as required.
Service Request Management
- Service request are actioned based on SLA guidelines.
- All Service Requests are logged in the Technology Service Desk system and are maintained with accurate, complete and up-to-date information.
- Customers are kept informed of the status of their Service Request.
- Contribute to the continuing development of Technology Operations processes procedures, standards and methodologies.
- Demonstrate initiative in identifying and implementing improvements.
- Participate in team discussions, planning sessions, reviews, training and cross-skilling.
- Identify improvements in System Management to increase systems stability and improve end user performance.
- Ensure procedures and work instructions are updated to reflect approved improvements.
- Continuously increase knowledge of application front-end and back-end, and business processes these represent.
- Seek greater alignment with Corporate Technology standards and practices.
- Plan, manage and execute changes to all applications and ensure Change Management procedures are adhered to.
- Ensure interruptions to Technology services resulting from changes are minimized.
- Ensure all changes are planned and authorized prior to implementation.
- Ensure problems introduced by planned changes are proactive identified by post-release testing and support. Changes are backed out if necessary.
- Deficiencies in proposed changes are identified as early as possible in the change lifecycle and prior to implementation.
- Changes to BOS are adequately risk-assessed (with assistance from other team members where required) and all risked mitigated where possible.
- Ensure documentation is updated to reflect results of each change, including updating CMDB where applicable.
24x7 After-hours Support
- Perform after hours work as required. Perform 24x7 on-call duties on a rostered basis.
- Ensure 24x7 on-call coverage is appropriately resourced and rostered.
- Demonstrate responsiveness to after-hours situations.
- Ensure on-call incidents are logged in the Technology Service Desk system.
- Ensure major after-hours incidents are appropriately escalated.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of all after-hours work.
- Provide 1st level on-call when rostered on backup.
- Ensure team performed assigned tasks within the nominated time frames and updates to the Call Management system occur in a timely manner.
- Lead the development of a performance based culture and work climate by development and implementing appropriate leadership and management development activities to encourage and maintain the required culture within the Technology Services team.
- Establish and maintain individual KPI’s and performance management plans for the members of the team.
Key Selection Criteria:
- Self-motivated and 100% Reliability.
- Ability to define processes and document procedures (essential skill).
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to conceptualize complex computer systems.
- Able to handle challenges based on a varied role within a dynamic environment.
- Good interpersonal skills (written & oral) with the ability to work effectively with personnel at all levels within an organization.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Hands-on experience in leading application support team.
- Experience in applications support of mission critical systems.
- Experience in Websphere, SQL, Oracle, Linux and strong shell scripting experience is required.
- Technical support experience in batch management, Linux and/or Microsoft Client/Server environments with proficiency in the use of related diagnostic tools.
- Excellent SQL skills. Needs to lead team in suggesting DB tuning and understands how the DB can be tuned.
- Demonstrated experience in setting up Service Catalog, Service Management Framework, and Service Reporting.
- Exposure to Oracle and/or Microsoft SQL Server RDBMS.
- Exposure to application administration tools.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Java or Oracle certification highly desired.