Why join Adler University?
- Subsidized group health insurance
- Employer-paid group life, long-term disability and accidental death & dismemberment insurance
- Employee-paid dental, vision, and transportation benefits
- 403(b) savings/retirement plan benefit, with a fully-vested employer matching contribution of up to 5% in the first year. After two years of participation, matching grows by 1% per year, to a limit of 10% employer match.
- $1,500 professional development allowance per fiscal year
- Tuition reimbursement of 50% for coursework related to Adler University employment
- Paid time off for holidays, vacation and sick days
Click here to read our recruitment brochure.
Media Relations Specialist
- Job Title
- Media Relations Specialist
- Job ID
- Chicago, IL 60602
- Other Location
The Adler School is founded on an important idea: Our health resides in our community life and connections. This is what drives our groundbreaking curricula and commitment to social responsibility, from our campuses in downtown Chicago and Vancouver and through Adler Online. We work with those courageous enough to want to change the world. Our doctoral and master's programs—many of them nationally recognized in fast-growing fields—prepare students to lead social change in the fields of psychology and mental health, criminal justice and public safety, business, public policy, and advocacy. In January 2015, we will become Adler University, a new name selected to support our vision as the leading academic institution advancing socially responsible practice, healthy communities, and a more just society.
This individual will be responsible for supporting the overall success of the Adler School’s institutional goals and strategic marketing and communications specifically through effective media outreach. He or she should have specialized experience planning and implementing strategic media relations programs (encompassing traditional, online and social media), and working directly with local and national print, broadcast and online/multimedia outlets. Strong writing, critical thinking, interpersonal communication and flexibility are required. This position will report to the Director of Communications.
- Plan and implement strategic media relations programs and appropriate tactics aligned with institutional and marketing and communications goals, as well as ongoing program and thought leadership efforts. Develop and deliver strategic media relations as part of marketing communications plans for new program launches and special events, Identify local, state/provincial, regional and national news and feature opportunities. In all efforts, define objectives, identify audiences and relevant messaging, develop timelines and budgets, and monitor, document and evaluate metrics and outcomes.
- Respond to in real time and coordinate media inquiries, proactively pitch stories, and maintain ongoing positive relationships with media on behalf of the institution. Serve as an institutional spokesperson where appropriate and/or provide counsel and training support for leadership, faculty and staff speaking on behalf of the School or in their institutional capacities.
- Proactively research, write, edit, produce and/or coordinate content for media-related use, including releases, briefs, statements, talking points/key messages, blog posts, video and/or visual media. Draft or edit op-eds, letters, guest posts, columns and additional content for leadership, faculty and staff for media placement.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with leadership, faculty, staff, students, and others that engage them and support effective media outreach on behalf of the School. Provide education on institutional, communications, and media policies, as well as effective media strategies and tactics supporting programs. Provide formal/informal media training and coaching for staff and School experts.
- Develop plan for, manage, monitor and evaluate media relations in emergency communications situations, in conjunction with the Director of Communications and the Emergency Communications team.
- Monitor, leverage and/or respond to media mentions, outcomes, exposure and interest both real-time and on regular basis.
- Write and manage media stories and news releases on adler.edu. Manage the School’s thought leadership blog, working with faculty, students and staff to develop, write and post content on an ongoing basis.
- Ensure consistent adherence to brand and editorial style in all activities and communications.
- Provide supplementary writing and editing for the annual magazine, annual report and other print and online communications.
- Support planning and coordination of events and programs, primarily through photography, video and/or media coordination.
- With Director of Communications, develop and maintain all policies, procedures and internal tools related to institutional media relations, and educating leadership, faculty, staff and students on their use.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Required Skills
• Minimum of a bachelor's degree required, with a preference for a degree in communications, public relations, or journalism • 5+ years of experience working with local, regional and national media and a proven track record of placements. Experience in higher education is strongly preferred.
• Demonstrated specialized knowledge of media relations, the news industry, and electronic and social media is required. Broad practical knowledge of internal and external communications, including marketing communications, organizational communications and community relations also is required.
• Knowledge of communications strategic planning and measurement, and a proven ability to execute quickly and accurately in a fast-paced environment
• Excellent interpersonal communications skills, including a positive and professional attitude
• Excellent speaking, interviewing and presentation skills
• Excellent writing and copy-editing skills, with experience writing for multiple audiences across multiple platforms
• Excellent social media/community engagement skills
• Strong organizational and management skills to effectively manage resources and the execution of multiple projects on an ongoing basis
• Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite – with emphasis on Word, Excel & PowerPoint
• Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite
• Basic photography skills required; experience working with video scripting and direction a plus
Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of Adler School of Professional Psychology that all persons are entitled to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) protection. The School does not discriminate against any individual for employment because of age, religion, race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, marital status, physical or mental disability, military status (including unfavorable discharge from the military), or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
Option 2: Create a New Profile