Lighting Product Design Engineer
- Job Title
- Lighting Product Design Engineer
- Job ID
- Plymouth, MI 48170
- Other Location
Product Design Engineer (Direct Hire)
This position reports to the Engineering Manager and is responsible for:
- Mechanical/Project Engineer responsible for the engineering and design of automotive lamp components & systems.
- Engineer and design lamp product assembly parts to meet Client and customer specifications including regulatory requirements such as FMVSS standards. Meet customer and internal targets for cost, timing, quality and weight per the customer statement of requirements.
- Primary interface with customer on styling, technical, feasibility, and launch issues. Coordinate the resolution of all customer-engineering issues with the team. Manage the change process as needed.
- Conduct internal product design reviews and direct CAD resources as needed. Integrate the activities of core resources for optics, thermal, electronic and structural design and analysis.
- Interface with global manufacturing facilities; Global core engineering activities; Tier 1 suppliers of mating and/or surrounding components/systems; purchased part vendors; and material suppliers to ensure product meets functional, customer program timing and quality targets.
- Manage engineering projects efficiently using APQP disciplines. Maintain all required PD program documentation including DFMEA, DVP&R and other Quality documents.
- Champion, organize and manage the Design Verification Processes for each Prototype, Pre-production and Production build stage. Analyze test results and lead the development and implementation of any necessary corrective actions.
YEARS EXPERIENCE: 3-5 years minimum related experience preferred.
DEGREE STRONGLY PREFERRED:
- BS in engineering or equivalent required; mechanical, electrical, optics or chemical/materials engineering preferred.
- Experience in molded plastic product design and engineering required. Experience in lighting products is preferred. Knowledge of LED applications and/or electronics integration is a plus.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills required. Experience interfacing with automotive OEMs is desired. Ability to work with multiple teams is critical.
- Demonstrate professional behaviors and attitudes while performing job responsibilities and in communications with the customer, coworkers and supporting/interfacing organizations.
- Must be a team player and be able to give accurate status and progress reports on assigned program/project.
- Some proficiency in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint expected.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS (i.e. Overtime, Travel, etc.): Occasional overtime may be required