Sr. Performance/DevOps Engineer (JMeter experience and strong automation experience) - Contract to hire
- Job Title
- Sr. Performance/DevOps Engineer (JMeter experience and strong automation experience) - Contract to hire
- Job ID
- Ann Arbor, MI 48104
- Other Location
Title: Sr. Performance Engineer (JMeter experience and strong automation experience)
From our start in 2009, Conexess has established itself in 3 markets, employing nearly 200+ individuals nation-wide. Operating in over 15 states, our client base ranges from Fortune 500/1000 companies, to mid-small range companies. For the majority of the mid-small range companies, we are exclusively used due to our outstanding staffing track record
Who We Are:
Conexess is a full-service staffing firm offering contract, contract-to hire, and direct placements. We have a wide range of recruiting capabilities extending from help desk technicians to CIOs. We are also capable of offering project based work.
Summary: As a Sr. Performance Engineer you’ll work in a critical DevOps function that focuses on delivering high performance and scalable applications to our customers. Sr. Performance Engineer defines workloads that model the performance of our systems under expected load, automate the generation of these workloads, measure system behavior, conduct analysis to gain insights into how to make the system run faster and use resources more efficiently. You will actively use performance tools, profilers and monitors to analyze, optimize component level performance metrics. In addition, you will learn about how our technology is deployed for various use cases in an agile environment using the latest and highly streamlined release processes. You may have to build a set of test harness to test services which using protocols such as HTTP/Rest, Server-side Events, JMS, WebSockets, etc. You will work closely with a group of talented software developers, architects and database engineers to execute performance testing approaches across a variety of high usage application and products. You will also perform review of system architecture and design to find opportunities for scale and performance improvements.
The candidate must be a team player with excellent written & verbal communication skills.
Validation of Applications Quality from Performance Perspective (80%)
- Design workloads and simulations to model our applications usage and establish performance and scalability benchmarks.
- Assist in the design, development and support of test harness components as needed to execute workloads
- Automate the tracking and publishing of Performance results across software builds and releases to ensure high quality releases.
- Perform root cause analysis for performance optimization and architecture. Demonstrate a technical aptitude to do a deep dive into problem areas and contribute to fixes that are faster, cleaner and require less maintenance.
- Estimate performance testing deliverables for all applicable projects.
- Requirements gathering, creating JMeter scripts and execution.
- Hands-on script development using JMeter or other open source tools.
- Monitor build jobs and create defects for any performance related issues.
- Perform In sprint performance testing.
- Scripting new functionality and fixing existing failed JMeter scripts.
- Plan performance tests both in QA and pre-prod (sometimes production).
- Develop, document, and maintain the test strategy and test scenarios.
- Execute tests using cloud load generators as required.
- Collaborate with Operations team to monitor applications to ensure applications perform as planned.
- Track defects on issues found.
- Perform detailed analysis on any bottlenecks found during test executions.
- Develop reports for leadership summarizing test results and trends.
- Build Stress, Load, Capacity and soak tests across multiple departments within the enterprise.
- Ability to communicate performance metrics of the applications to the leadership.
- Develop and maintain Key Performance Indicators (KPI) for the various applications.
- Develop and maintain service level metrics for systems, including response time, failover, time to failure, and time to recover.
- Ability to coordinate with Leads and development managers.
- Demonstrate ownership and accountability in work assignments.
- Be resourceful and collaborate with respective teams to quickly solve performance and scalability challenges.
- 10+ years of experience in performance testing/engineering.
- 5+ years expert experience in JMeter tool.
- Strong Automation and coding skills using one or more of Java, Shell, Groovy, Python, Perl, C# or other languages.
- Experience performance testing applications developed in Java
- Good understanding of Java runtime (JVM) performance, JMX, Garbage Collection and Thread management
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience using diagnostic tools like HTTP Watch, Fiddler IE and Chrome Developer Tools.
- Thorough understanding of networking technologies (TCP/IP, DNS, Load Balancers, Firewalls, etc.)
- Experience running tests using cloud testing tools like BlazeMeter, OctoPerf etc.
- Strong knowledge of Splunk to build effective visualizations, alerts and dashboards around key business transitions, performance and health metrics to get deeper operational and system insight on the systems.
- Experience with buffering and messaging tech such as ActiveMQ and Kafka.
- Experience integrating performance scripts (JMeter) into Jenkins and JMeter with scripting (groovy).
- Experience in testing the performance of REST APIs and microservice architecture.
- Extensive understanding of web applications and browser concepts (HTTP/HTTPS, connections, cookies, caching, etc.)
- A team player with excellent written & verbal communication skills.
NICE TO HAVEs
- Experience with Application Performance Management (APM) tools such as Dynatrace, AppDynamics
- Experience developing JMeter plug-ins for specific load test scenarios.
- Experience with
- Container technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes.
- Web server technologies such as Apache, Tomcat and NGINX etc.
- Server-side Events (SSE).
- Mocking / traffic manipulation services (Hoverfly, Wiremock or ToxiProxy)
- Development experience or at least a thorough understanding of current programming models such as Spring Boot etc.
- A good understanding of performance monitoring and tuning of Relational Databases (SQL Server)
- Experience with developing and performance testing/tuning of systems using NoSQL databases such as Couchbase and Cassandra.
- Working knowledge of network packet sniffers (e.g. TcpDump, Network Monitor, WinDump).
- Working knowledge of operating system design/tuning (e.g. Linux, Windows)
- Experience with using Jira and Confluence for managing work items
- Good understanding of agile methodologies and agile performance testing.
- Strong understanding of techniques such as Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, Test Driven Development, Cloud Development, application resiliency and security.
- Ability to work independently with an aptitude for detailed work and follow-up activities.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent experience.