- Job Title
- Payroll Accountant
- Job ID
- Plymouth, MI 48170
- Other Location
The Payroll Accountant will oversee and supervise the payroll function of the organization, ensuring pay is processed on time, accurately, and in compliance with government regulations. This position demands an individual who is a self-starter, detail oriented, knowledgeable and compliant with payroll processing regulations.
- Perform routine accounting duties that affect the day to day operations of the company.
- Implement, maintain, and review payroll processing and accounting system to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll transactions including salaries, benefits, garnishments, taxes, and other deductions.
- Ensure accurate and timely processing of payroll updates including new hires, terminations, direct deposits, and changes to pay rates.
- Gather and audit timekeeping data, including resolving related issues.
- Prepare and maintain accurate records and reports of payroll transactions.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local payroll, wage, and hour laws and best practices.
- Facilitate audits by providing records and documentation to auditors.
- 401(k) and HSA data transmission.
- Prepare monthly commission schedules, tracking projects, etc.
- Monthly journal entries, including payroll-related accruals.
- Monthly General Ledger account reconciliations.
- Ad hoc queries in ADP.
- W-2 verification and distribution.
- Design and Implement Controls and Processes (P/R, 401k).
- Assist in ACA Compliance.
Minimum Education / Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, plus 3-5 years of experience, or equivalent education and/or experience. CPP preferred.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- PC Skills including spreadsheet proficiency, word processing, database understanding, Email.
- Self-starter who is action oriented, possesses a strong sense of urgency and able to work independently.
- Must be analytical, detail oriented with strong organizational skills.
- Problem solver; able to contribute new ideas and find solutions to business challenges.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- High attention to detail.
- Up-to-date on payroll laws/regulations; ability to research when necessary. Experience with ADP Workforce Now, preferred.