- Job Title
- Packaging Engineer
- Job ID
We are working with a growing food manufacturer in the Albany, NY area that is looking for a Packaging Engineer. This role is responsible for the design, spec development, operation and implementation of CI/lean improvements. The Packaging Engineer will take active part in improving industrial processes while coordinating with supply chain, operations, and Maintenance teams.
Reports to: the VP of Manufacturing.
Duties and Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Manage continuous improvement projects directed towards reducing waste and improving quality by implementing Kaizen and 5S
- Will lead and initiate CI projects by coaching, training and mentoring. Focusing on quality, services and cost improvement
- Implement program that focuses on reducing process and product variation by analyzing data. Does this by utilizing tools such as Spaghetti Diagrams, Cause & Effect Diagrams, and Fishbone
- Initiate meetings between appropriate department personnel to analyze process input variable and interpret how they impact internal & external needs
- Plan, prioritize, & review technical plans for the improvement of production & facility equipment
- Design & carry out manufacturing trials, reports results & implements changes
- Work cross functionally to troubleshoot, diagnose, & perform root case analysis investigations on equipment & plant issues
- Participate in the development of design, installation specifications, commissioning plans, acceptance & inspection criteria for equipment & technical MRO suppliers and technical maintenance service providers
- Work as a cross functional technical leader with functions such as supply chain, sourcing, Manufacturing & Engineering.
- Write new technical specifications for all new materials & update existing material specifications
- Coordinate with operators across all shifts on a regular basis to address production issues and develop long term strategies
- Apply value analysis to design, repair, make and buy decisions
- Coordinate the purchase of equipment, materials or parts that meet specs & quality standards
Required Skills/Qualifications (including but not limited to):
- Bachelor’s degree in related engineering field
- Must have experience working in a consumer product goods environment.
- A background in a food manufacturing CPG environment is ideal
- Strong knowledge design, specification, & implementing of food packaging systems
- Knowledge of food packaging materials
- 5-7+ years’ experience in a related process/packaging engineering role
- Knowledge of CAD/AutoCAD
- Posses a background with CI/Lean. Must be a change-agent
- Strong communicator. Able to work well across all levels of the organization
- Ability to think outside of the box and act independently