API Application Architect
- Job Title
- API Application Architect
- Job ID
- Charlotte, NC
- Other Location
The API Architect is responsible for application integration design across the enterprise and with our customers and external partners. Additionally, this role will contribute to and help drive enterprise API strategy, including the definition of standards and best practices for design, testing, deployment, and operations. The individual in this position is knowledgeable in all aspects of distributed application architecture, including APIs, web services, microservices, and asynchronous event protocols and will operate as a technical leader for Apigee based solutions and best practices. Focuses on API implementation quality, orchestration design, and analytics definition within API management platform (such as Apigee).
Responsibilities include technical leadership and guidance for the API delivery and governance teams to ensure compliance with existing architecture standards, business requirements, and governance policies as well as communication across the organization. Additional responsibilities include the initial implementation and utilization approach to maximize the benefits of API management platform.
Communicates with management, senior technology leadership and other architects regarding best practices and the status of assigned projects and initiatives.
- Analyzes and defines API architecture requirements for data, workflow, logical processes, platform environment, software, and system interfaces
- Contributes to the conceptual and physical design of application integration using APIs and events
- Reviews and approves detailed API designs produced by delivery vendors
- Ensures the architectural integrity of API centric projects and solutions
- Provides strategic thought on adoption and implementation of Apigee best practices
- Effectively communicates and shares API management platform and standards knowledge to support products and project teams
- Operates equally comfortably within agile or waterfall environments
- Works with product owners to analyze and understand enterprise business drivers to determine integration architecture requirements
- Evaluates, recommends, and justifies technical scope and direction changes during
- Planning and Design phases
- Establishes and documents full lifecycle API management standards and best practices
- Guides API development teams in the application of best practices with API management tools
- Deep knowledge of and demonstrable history of success implementing Apigee based solutions, standards, and best practices
- Knowledge of and experience with service-oriented architecture concepts
- Knowledge of all components of application design in a high-volume, high-availability environment
- Working knowledge of service orchestration and messaging technologies.
- Ability to apply the long-term (big picture) perspective to tactical situations
- Ability to evaluate information quickly, identify key issues and formulate conclusions based on sound, practical judgment, experience, and common sense
- 7-10 years of progressive experience in distributed application and integration design, culminating with technical leadership responsibilities implementing APIs with the Apigee product
- 1-2 years of deep experience in API strategy formulation and alignment with business and product needs
- Familiarity with API management gateways in both public and private cloud infrastructure (e.g. AWS API Gateway)
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, or a related study, or equivalent experience
- Apigee Implementation, Architecture and/or development training