Manager of Core Networking - Austin, TX
- Job Title
- Manager of Core Networking - Austin, TX
- Job Order ID
- Begin Date
- Austin, TX
- Other Location
Manager of Core Networking – Austin, TX
The Manager of Core Networking is responsible for the daily operations of core network architecture and security, network technology evaluations, protocol analysis, configuration, and research, complex troubleshooting and analysis and special network projects. In addition, this role is highly involved in capacity planning, network monitoring, and technology mentoring. The Manager of Core Networking will direct assigned project staff to design, develop and/or implement large, complex technology solutions supporting one or more business and/or technology areas.
Network infrastructure includes routers; switches; circuits; MPLS connectivity; voice over IP phone systems; load balancers; firewalls; VPN; DNS; IPAM; Sniffers; tapping; NAC; NTP; DDoS mitigation; proxies; network management tools; and call recording infrastructure
- Monitor and report upon network performance and capacity.
- Identify and diagnose complex problems and factors affecting network performance.
- Evaluate and identify opportunities for network performance and functionality improvements.
- Implement and maintain required levels of network security.
- Forecast system demands and recommends upgrades, expansions and reconfigurations.
- Study vendor products to determine those which best meet company needs and assists in presentation of information to management result in the purchase and installation of hardware and software.
- Assist in supporting non-network technologies such as Servers, SAN, and virtualization.
- Provides guidance and direction for less experienced engineers.
- Follow and be an advocate for the change management processes
- Perform network build-outs, site setup, user training, hardware/software installation, maintenance and support and documentation of operating procedures and processes as necessary.
- Troubleshoot hardware and software problems, takes appropriate corrective action and/or interacts with IT staff or vendors in performing complex testing, support, network/ router recovery, and troubleshooting functions.
- Collaborate with peers to proactively identify potential issues and areas of improvements in the existing network environment.
- Manages to the tactical and operational plan for assigned technology projects in support of critical business objectives.
- Prioritizes work according to business priorities and production availability requirements.
- Ensure network policy, controls, and procedures are maintained throughout the team.
- Escalation of network issues to management.
- Provide team leadership, advanced system administration, operational support and problem resolution for a large complex network environment.
- Assign tasks, track time, manage projects, conduct workflow analysis and perform team status reporting.
- Coordinate resources for the team by performing detailed planning, assigning tasks and team mentoring.
- On call as needed for problems and incidents.
- After hours, weekend work often required during off hours maintenance windows.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Good consultative, communication, analytical, and judgment skills.
- Good leadership, motivational and time management skills.
- Ability to work effectively with clients, other systems technical staff, consultants and vendors.
- Suggests solutions that make sense and are in line with future technology direction.
- Demonstrates sound analytical and diagnostic skills dealing with issues that are not readily defined and/or conflict with available information.
- Optimizes the use of all available resources.
- Maintains partnerships across the organization, and has the ability to influence senior management, peers and staff through an inclusive style and recognition of their abilities to achieve results.
- In-depth knowledge of networking and telecommunication systems, concepts, applicable methodologies, tools, standards, procedures, and policies.
- Extensive knowledge of network environment consisting of all network hardware.
- In-depth understanding of fiber optic communications, Routers, Switches, Wireless, and IP Telephony systems (VOIP).
- Proven proficiency in the use of network monitoring or other optimization tools Knowledge of major internet routing protocols: BGP, IS-IS
- Ability to engineer, implement and manage support MPLS networks, SONET
- Experience with network load balancing, proxies, and network analyzer technologies.
- Deep knowledge of layers 1 – 4 of the OSI model. Working knowledge of layers 5 – 7.
- Understanding of VXLAN EVPN
- Understanding of MPLS EVPN
- Experience developing scripts to automate system administration tasks including performance monitoring. Python/Ansible experience a plus.
- Policy-based firewall experience a plus.
- Linux experience a plus.
- SDN experience a plus
- External cloud experience (e.g. AWS, GCP) a plus
- Experience implementing/operating within control frameworks (e.g. HIPPA, PCI, NIST) experience a plus
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Telecommunications or a related discipline, or equivalent experience.
- Five plus years-experience network systems operations and administration, telecommunications network installation, operations and maintenance or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- At least three years-experience successfully managing and leading technical teams.
- A strong ability to adapt to constantly changing priorities
Base $135k with 10 or 15%
Send resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Burrell Associates Executive Search (www.burrellassociates.com) is a well-respected, professional recruiting firm founded in 1986, has been retained for this company's confidential search. We specialize in placing professional candidates at all levels, executing with the strictest of confidentiality.
- Required Skills