- Job Title
- System Engineer
- Job ID
- Lathrup Village, MI 48076
- Other Location
Systems Engineers are responsible for planning, implementing, managing, and maintaining servers (physical and virtual) and storage in the enterprise environment. They are expected to have in depth operating system, virtualization, and optimization experience.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
· Plan, install, configure, troubleshoot and maintain servers (physical and virtual) and software on the local area (LAN) and storage area networks (SAN).
· Extensive knowledge of storage area networks and their implementation in a virtualized environment.
· Deploy, and maintain a viable virtualization host platform that can serve the vast majority (90% or higher) of servers used. Ensure that Disaster Recovery options part of the architecture.
· Ensure adequate performance of systems serving applications to end users and make recommendations for optimization when necessary.
· Update and maintain team and project documentation (e.g., implementation/configuration checklists, diagrams, disaster recovery plans), storage areas, and supplies.
· Follow established incident, problem resolution, and Change Management procedures ensuring that System Administrators are aware of system deployments of changes that would impact backups or monitoring.
· Must be willing to perform On Call responsibilities after hours and on weekends as part of an on call support team.
· Must successfully complete all assigned projects in a timely manner, keeping IT leadership informed of status and roadblocks.
· Work with IT leadership and fellow team members to identify opportunities for task automation, process improvement and cost savings.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science or technical certificate plus five or more years of related experience and/or training.
· Extensive knowledge of virtualization of servers and desktop systems.
· Certification as an MCTS, or MCSE/MCITP.
· Knowledge of ITIL Foundation a plus.
· Solid knowledge of Active Directory, Group Policy, TCP/IP and DNS.
· Solid understanding of desktop, laptop/mobile and server technologies and how they interact.
· Solid knowledge and experience with Windows 7/Windows 8 & Server 2008/2012 installation and support.
· Solid Microsoft Exchange support and administration experience for a currently supported version of Exchange.
· Knowledge of Microsoft Lync and SharePoint Preferred.
· Working knowledge of server virtualization technologies.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Strong interpersonal skills and professional demeanor; ability to interact at all levels within our organization, in a team based environment and with the general public.
· Effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to team members and leaders of the organization.
· Ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently as well as the ability to prioritize various tasks and deadlines.
· Must be able to apply problem solving recommendations that produce satisfactory results, focus on effectiveness, be organized, flexible, and self–directed and have a sense of urgency.