- Job Title
- Controls Engineer
- Job ID
- Dexter, MI 48130
- Other Location
The Controls Engineer is responsible for the programming, troubleshooting, maintenance, and repair of mechanical-electrical equipment such as PLC’s, VFD’s, and other electrical devices. These systems will be used to operate and control conveyor systems, pneumatic and hydraulic systems, production machines, pumps, bulk delivery equipment, and blending/mixing systems. This individual will also make significant contributions to project management activities to assist the Project Engineer.
FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
- Programming, creating, reading, and editing logic diagrams, wiring diagrams, single lines, and P&IDs. Perform and/or verify process/control design for projects (PLC’s, networks, drives, instrumentation, control panels, etc.).
- Demonstrate proficiency with Allen-Bradley hardware, including MicroLogix, ControlLogix, CompactLogix, and PanelView to control a variety of fluid processes.
- Demonstrate proficiency with Allen-Bradley software, including RSLogix 500, RSLogix 5000 and FactoryTalk to build and maintain PLC programs and HMI applications.
- Mechanically and electrically troubleshoot difficult equipment problems in systems. Quickly and correctly accomplish equipment repairs of electrical equipment including the testing and refurbishing of PLC modules, HMI’s, and other electrical hardware.
- Assist with on-site start-up which includes troubleshooting and problem-solving.
- Support field technicians and equipment operators to solve equipment issues. Support technicians with runoff of modules and systems.
- Manage inspection of existing electrical and controls equipment; design new electrical and controls equipment.
- Assist with the development of mathematical models for system control (i.e, Calculation of control loop factors, timing of sequencing, scaling of sensor outputs, and signal conditioning).
- Assist shop assembly with installation of control panels and control devices in equipment.
- Accurately generate parts request and complete preventative maintenance worksheets in a timely manner.
- With Department Manager, develop and maintain company programming standards and library, including strict revision control.
- Precisely redline and update electrical drawings using AutoCAD 2013.
- Proactively coordinate with project managers, engineers, field technicians, clients, and vendors/partners.
- Prepare written Functional Control Descriptions of all projects and review with outside parties.
- Complete detailed programming and/or review programs completed by others for compliance.
- Continuously improve company’s process control technologies, including remote access and process monitoring and recording.
- Communicate with in-house, contract, and customer programmers of various abilities to explain design intent and facilitate interface with other systems (e.g. DCS, other PLC infrastructure).
- Actively manage third party vendors for electrical and controls procurement and implementation.
- Establish and maintain remote access to facilities for troubleshooting and updating programs.
- Support technicians and customers as required, including after-hours emergency remote support.
- Keep supervisor advised of work status, workload, problems, and progress.
- Comply with all aspects of the company safety program, including but not limited to: hazard communication, PPE requirements, and scheduled safety training.
- Adhere to all company policies, procedures and business ethics.
- Maintain safety and cleanliness of work area.
- Other duties as assigned with or without accommodation.
Physical/Visual Activities or Demands: Physical/visual activities or demands that are commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job.
- Standing, walking, climbing, lifting, bending, kneeling, reaching, pushing, carrying, grasping, talking and hearing
- Must concentrate mental and visual attention closely on work, coordinating manual dexterity with mental and visual attention for sustained periods.
- Frequent attention with the ability to judge distance and space relationships, identify and distinguish colors and bring objects within 20 inches into clear focus.
- Medium work - exert up to 25 pounds of force continuously and/or 25 to 50 pounds of force frequently and/or over 60 pounds occasionally to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
Environmental/Atmospheric Conditions: Environmental and atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job.
- Inside conditions with occasional exposure to excessive noise, vibration, physical hazards, heat, or cold (electrical current, oils, chemicals, welding) and adverse atmospheric conditions (potentially hazardous fumes, odors, dust, gases, acids).
- Physical conditions include close proximity to moving mechanical parts.
- An engineering degree from an ABET accredited university is preferred.
- 10 or more years of experience programming controls technologies using Allen Bradley PLC’s, and HMI’s. Specific experience with Compact Logix, Micro Logix, and PanelView 600 Plus
- 3 or more years of experience programming Factory Talk Panel View and/or Proface HMI.
- 3 or more years of process plant experience to include diagnostic/troubleshooting.
- 2 or more years working experience Microsoft Office.
- 2 or more years of working experience with AutoCAD LT.
Skills and Abilities: May be representative but not all-inclusive, of those commonly associated with this position:
- Ability to program in multiple languages, including ladder logic, structured text and VB scripting.
- Ability to read and interpret electrical wiring diagrams, control narratives, P&ID drawings, and installation instructions.
- Strong technical and analytical proficiency with the ability to multi-task effectively and thrive in a team environment.
- Ability to apply commonsense to understand and carry out instructions furnished in oral or written form and to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in or from standardized situations.
- Demonstrated experience with mathematical modeling which would include knowledge of differential calculus, iterations, regressions from data.
- Demonstrated experience designing DCS integration for controls systems.
- Demonstrate an advanced understanding of blueprints and mechanical drawings.
- Perform reading, writing and speaking at an intermediate level.
- Ability to perform at level of quality required to prevent losses in cost, service, production and/or damage to equipment.
- General knowledge of the skill trades including, mechanical, plumbing and electrical troubleshooting.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Travel up to 50% required.
Machines, Tools, Equipment, Software and Work Aids: May be representative, but not all-inclusive, of those commonly associated with this position.
- Digital multimeter, hand tools, and mechanics tools.
- See above for specific software and hardware requirments.
- Valid drivers license & acceptable driving record per company Vehicle Policy.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws. Certain job functions described herein may be subject to possible modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws. "Commonly associated" is not intended to mean always or only. There are different experiences that suggest other ways or circumstances where reasonable changes or accommodations are appropriate.
All activities, demands, conditions, and requirements are linked to “Essential Job Functions” unless marked with an asterisk, which denotes connection only to marginal function(s).