Electronic Controls Product Development Engineer (PCB Design)
- Job Title
- Electronic Controls Product Development Engineer (PCB Design)
- Job ID
- Novi, MI 48336
- Other Location
PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER - Electronic Controls Engineer (PCB Design)
All T&E’s design and development of electronic controls for coolant pumps, diverter valves, throttle bodies, and related electronics.
- Design and support control electronics for pumps and valve using brushless and brushed motors from 10W low voltage through 1200 W high voltage using both firmware-based microcontroller solutions and application-specific motor controller chips.
- Understanding of hardware and software tradeoff issues in microcontroller designs.
- Design of MOSFET and IGBT power control circuits from 1 amp to 20 amps and from 12 V to 400VDC input.
- Ability to design multi-layer high density mixed-signal printed circuit boards handling currents over 20 amps and voltages of 500 V.
- Design circuits that will conform with automotive transient specifications and ESD requirements.
- Ability to design circuits and PCB’s to minimize EMC and EMI problems.
- Familiarity with common automotive communication protocols (PWM, LIN, CAN, SENT) and their design implication.
- Select, interface, and approve vendors of standard and custom electronic components.
- Ability to create detailed Bills of Material and performs initial price estimates with cost tradeoffs.
- Ability to interpret and execute automotive specifications and design requirements and limitations
- Experience with high temperature (-55 to +150C) designs and component selection.
- Participate and lead design reviews for Customers.
- Familiar with simulation tools to analyze circuits and systems.
- Ensures design for manufacturability, test, and reliability.
- Participates in the complete product development cycle, from initial product specification to product release.
- Transfers and follows designs through test engineering and manufacturing engineering.
- Keeps adequate records and provides documentation on all projects
- Familiarity with designing circuitry that operates over the wide range of automotive temperature and power conditions.
- Need to interface productively with Firmware design engineer and cross-functional team.
- Insure all customer performance and durability specifications and requirements are met.
- Support component and end item manufacturing process development and optimization. Parts and systems are to be designed for manufacturing.
- Initiate and support engineering verification (EV), design validation (DV) and production validation (PV) product testing.
- Support product prototype builds.
- Support Customer related technical issues
- Support purchasing with the supplier selection process.
- Support product cost estimating efforts.
YEARS EXPERIENCE: Minimum 3 years of experience in circuit design for electronic devices including microprocessor controllers and power electronics for harsh environments.
DEGREE: Bachelors Degree Electrical Engineering or (higher)
- Knowledge of and experience with mainstream 8/16/32-bit microcontrollers with AEQ-100 ratings such as ARM, Microchip PIC, Freescale, STM etc.
- Hands ON PCB design experience
- Experience with schematic capture and PCB layout tools (ALTIUM big plus)
- Strong troubleshooting and analysis skills.
- Must be able to bring up a new PCB and circuit design from concept through implementation and revision
- Experience with circuit simulation tools.
- Experience in product development and design-for-manufacturing.
- +Familiar with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project)
- BLDC 3-Phase and Brushed DC Motor design experience a BIG plus.
- Basic understanding of microcontroller firmware and methodology in order to formulate proper circuit design decisions
- Practical working knowledge of: FMEA, APQP, PPAP, and DV & PV testing.
- Ability to understand and apply automotive powertrain engineering specifications.
- Ability to work independently and within a cross-functional team environment.
- Must have a self starting, proactive and resourceful mindset.
- Good analytical problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Able to understand customer functional and packaging needs and design/develop cost effective solutions.
- Ability to work alone and in a team to determine optimal, robust engineering designs and materials for various products, applications and system components.
- Ability to simultaneously engineer products with consideration to and involvement of manufacturing engineering such that the products are designed for cost effective, robust manufacturing process.
- Must be capable of evaluating various supplier processes and select those optimal for the product.
- Able to determine required EV, DV and PV testing to prove-out/validate designs.
- Limited travel required to suppliers, customer, and manufacturing plants during launch