Member Engagement Division Internship
- Job Title
- Member Engagement Division Internship
- Job ID
- Houston, TX 77010
- Other Location
The Greater Houston Partnership is the leading business organization for eleven counties in the Houston region (Austin, Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Liberty, Montgomery, San Jacinto, Waller and Walker). Our membership includes Houston-based Fortune 500 companies as well as over 1,200 small and mid-size businesses. GHP member companies are leaders in their respective sectors, including oil and gas, major manufacturing, healthcare, finance, professional services, arts/entertainment and trade. Our membership also employs more than 1 in every five employees throughout the region and contributes billions of dollars to the local, state and national economy.
The Partnership has two core functions: public policy and economic development (domestic and international). In addition, GHP’s leadership identifies strategic priorities for community engagement consistent with its core functions. GHP has its own internal Research Department, a full events team and a Membership Engagement Division.
The Member Engagement Division is responsible for the attraction, retention and engagement of members. To achieve this, the Member Engagement Division works to secure adequate funding for the organization through membership and events. The Division also guides the engagement of members throughout the enterprise and directly coordinates targeted programs that reflect the diverse character of our membership.
Internship Purpose: The Member Engagement Intern will support the Member Engagement staff with projects, grant proposals, research, communications, sponsorships and database records.
The intern will gain hands on experience working alongside professionals responsible for member engagement, new member acquisition, sponsorship promotion and data analysis.
All assignments will be done in conjunction with a mentor/team member in the MED Department.
Benefits to the intern:
- Opportunity to gain first-hand experience in large nonprofit development department
- Establish sales and relationship building skills to ensure your future success in the field
- Enhance your development skills into a professional and performance based measurements
- Learn about the prospecting for potential donors
- Develop persuasive writing skills
- Opportunity to be a staff liaison at distinguished events with elected officials, industry leaders, business executives and important businesses in the Houston marketplace
- Spend time in other major departments (Economic Development, Research, Events) learning about their role and how it contributes to the Membership’s goal of attracting and retaining members
Requirements: The ideal candidate is a junior or senior undergraduate
Skills: The position requires research, writing, telephone and administrative support skills. Comfort with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) is essential. The ideal candidate will have an ability to learn quickly and meet tight deadlines.
Term: The internship will begin in May 2018. Business casual attire is required. A typical week will require 18-20 hours of office work, with the specific schedule to be discussed prior to start of internship.
Assignments: All assignments will be done in conjunction with a mentor/team member in the MED Department.
Academic Credit: To be determined by intern’s own school.
Compensation: This is a non-paid internship. The Partnership will cover the intern’s parking or provide a Metro Q Card to cover bus/light rail expenses.