Network Cyber Analyst
- Job Title
- Network Cyber Analyst
- Job ID
As a Network Cyber Analyst, you will serve as a critical part of our Cyber Analysis team, tasked with developing and managing cyber security initiatives that will protect the entire North American power grid. In this role, you will provide expertise in cyber security incident investigations, technical support to criticial initiatives and ongoing risk assessment for grid-critical infrastructure. Our ideal candidate will be familiar with the relationships between the Electricity Sub-sector in North America and federal agencies, including the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), the Department of Energy (DOE), the Department of Defense (DOD), the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
This critical position will have a great deal of organizational influence as we plan to double in size within the next few years. On a daily basis you will report to the Manager of Cybersecurity Analysis in the following areas:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide cyber security technical analysis, advice and expertise to electric industry members and government officials during critical infrastructure incidents.
- Furnish expertise regarding critical infrastructure cyber security measures.
- Administer possible-impact assessment of network compromise campaigns.
- Collaborate with subject matter experts to identify opportunities to improve the cyber security protection of North American electric grid assets.
- Co-author reports on cyber security threats and mitigation strategies to protect North American electric grid assets.
- Co-develop cyber security training materials and programs.
- Participate and collaborate in North America-wide grid security exercises.
- Provide subject matter expertise to assist the Critical Infrastructure Protection Committee and the Electricity Subsector Coordinating Council.
The successful candidate will have:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a related technical field and related technical experience. An additional 4 years of experience may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- Knowledge and skills to understand network design and analyze of router, firewall, VPN/remote access and other perimeter defense systems’ traffic and logs.
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skills to understand and analyze network traffic to detect abnormal traffic and identify possible threats and common attack indicators.
- Successfully demonstrate proficiency in the following tasks:
- Describe in detail effective network defense principles to detect and/or mitigate different network attacks
- Thorough understanding and analysis of DNS traffic. Identify legitimate and possibly malicious DNS traffic.
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze network traffic to identify normal and application traffic. This includes the ability to discern malicious traffic from false positives.
- Demonstrate the ability to detect encrypted intrusions on the network
- Demonstrate the ability to dissect and analyze IP packet headers for normal and abnormal values
- Deep packet inspection.
- Packet dissection and analysis of HTTP and SMTP.
- Thorough understanding of how fragmentation and fragmentation-based attacks work
- Proficient in traffic analysis using Wireshark, Silk and other network traffic analysis tools
- Incident response experience: from discovery to lessons learned
- Familiarity with past and current threat actors and associated tactics and tools
- Ability to understand and learn technical specifications, system requirements and other application design information as needed
- Position located in Washington, D.C.
- Security Clearance preferred, but not required. If not currently held, selected candidate must be able to obtain and maintain a favorably adjudicated background investigation for continued employment.
- Background check will be conducted prior to employment.
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
- Travel necessary: Passport required for North American travel.
Blackmere Consulting is an equal opportunity employer (EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled/Protected Statuses)