Instrumentation Controls Tech
- Job Title
- Instrumentation Controls Tech
- Job ID
The Instrumentation Controls Technician requires a high level of hands-on knowledge of manufacturing equipment, practices, machine maintenance, instrumentation, troubleshooting, repair, and root cause diagnostic skills. This is not limited to, but includes automation systems and process control systems. Multiple technologies are used throughout the facility but extensive controls knowledge is required with Allen-Bradley/Rockwell as the predominant control platforms for hardware and software. Will also be required to provide instruction in operation, set-up, maintenance, troubleshooting & repair of machines and systems.
- Support the software & hardware aspects of electrical/electronic requirements of a high speed manufacturing environment. This includes process instrumentation, computer network, PLCs, motor control, HMIs, Variable Frequency Drives, Servo systems & distribute networks such as Ethernet, ControlNet & DeviceNet.
- Ability to understand & calibrate instrumentation such as flow meters, temperature transmitters, weigh scales, level sensors, RTD’s, pressure transmitters, conductivity transmitters
- Conduct searches of new technologies, processes, equipment & materials to enhance product quality, plant safety and operational efficiency.
- Assist in establishing training programs for plant electrical & mechanical specialists.
- Assist on teams and in the development of work instructions for equipment operations.
- Responsible for performing the necessary troubleshooting, testing, and repair maintenance on hydraulic, pneumatic, electrical & electronic control systems & instrumentation along with ensuring safe operations.
- Make/perform timely inspections of all equipment/assets in the plant/facility.
- Testing/troubleshooting/root cause analysis of all systems.
- Handle implementation of design changes & maintenance activities in support of quality systems.
- Create accurate, complete and relevant PM & PdM maintenance schedules in the plant CMMS system. Complete preventative maintenance to all facility equipment as required.
- Program modifications & perform instrumentation calibration.
- Interpretation & understanding of electrical drawings.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD & ability to create electrical drawings.
- Recommends changes in methods & procedures, always work with continuous improvement in mind.
- Capable of design & selection of electrical hardware systems.
- Provide support to other maintenance functions of the organization should conditions arise which need immediate attention, such as emergency or urgent work orders
- Implementation and/or follows safety guidelines and ensure all machinery standards are met. Has general understanding of NFPA 79 and ANSI standards.
- Keep management updated on status of electrical/mechanical equipment when downtime is expected.
- Collect data & analyze for process improvements/preventive Maintenance.
- Write and execute software validation
Education and Experience:
- Associates degree in related field with 3+ years’ experience working in an industrial controls environment or
- Bachelor’s degree in related field with experience working in an industrial controls environment.
- Understanding of controls architecture & controls networking (ControlNet, DeviceNet, Ethernet)
- Understanding of process controls.
- General knowledge of design, specification and implementation of software and/or hardware systems.
- Understanding and experience in industrial electrical control systems, servos, inverters, machine and systems architecture and troubleshooting of equipment.
- General understanding and experience for applicable NFPA, NEC, ANSI and GMP standards. Ex: NFPA 79, NFPA 70
- CPG experience preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs required (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Rockwell PLC (Ex: Allen Bradley). Other software packages a plus.
- HMI development, configuration and implementation of Rockwell software.
- Communication experience including RS232, RS485, fiber optic, serial & Ethernet networking (IP addressing schemes, subnets).
- Excellent collaborative management skills.
- Excellent listening, verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional problem solving skills using data to verify results.
- Strong attention to detail and results orientation.
- Strong written communication skills.