- Job Title
- Production Manager
- Job ID
- Dexter, MI 48130
- Other Location
This integral management role oversees and improves upon production processes in (client) shop facilities to optimize processes for maximum productivity and efficiency. Strong aptitudes for both engineering and supervision, in addition to a collaborative approach and excellent attention to detail, are essential in this role.
- Oversees the fabrication, build, maintenance, and repair of modular purification units in (client) shop facilities.
- Hones and manages machining diagnostic capabilities pertaining to vibration, bearings, and mechanical functionality for (client) centrifuges. Develop capacity for bowl-balancing and machining to build up and repair centrifuges.
- Assess and analyze current production methods; develop and implement an improved production process plan to maximize productivity of shop technicians while preserving efficiency and conserving or reducing costs when applicable.
- Oversee parts inventory staff and processes including understanding minimum necessities, back orders, delays, etc. for both Fluid Purification and Advance Separations field technical staff.
- Build and develop a team to rebuild centrifuges and pumps with strong working knowledge of mechanics and parts.
- Determine which machines, tools, equipment, etc. will be used and where they will be stationed in the facility
- Supervise the work, and manage the performance, of shop technicians
- Develop and participate in appropriate training program for shop technicians.
- Increase speed and efficiency of processes without compromising quality
- Develop and implement quality control measures that effectively monitor productivity and guarantee desired results
- Ensure all steps of production run smoothly and efficiently; follow product specifications
- Provide and facilitate team member education regarding proper methods for operating and engaging machinery and tools
- Regularly evaluate staffing needs to ensure we can meet production goals competently
- Recruit and hire, when necessary, shop technicians to maintain equipment for maximum safety and efficiency
- Troubleshoot and diagnose origin of equipment issues and breakdowns and with team, develop plan for repair
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with vendors, partners, customers, and other team members
- Communicate with clients and vendors to obtain materials and or/equipment needed
- Participate in continuous improvement projects
- Work within set budgetary plans
- Follow and adhere to all state, federal, and company enforced safety rules and regulations
- Maintain safety and cleanliness of work area
- Other duties as assigned with or without accommodation
Physical/Visual Activities or Demands (Physical/visual activities or demands that are commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job):
- Standing, walking, climbing, lifting, bending, kneeling, reaching, pushing, carrying, grasping, talking, and hearing
- Must concentrate mental and visual attention closely on work, coordinating manual dexterity with mental and visual attention for sustained periods
- Ability to judge distance and space relationships, identify and distinguish colors, and bring objects within 20 inches into clear focus
- Occasionally to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects up to 25-60 pounds.
- Operate a forklift
Environmental/Atmospheric Conditions (Environmental and atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job):
- Inside conditions with exposure to excessive noise, vibration, physical hazards (electrical current, oils, and chemicals, welding) and adverse atmospheric conditions (potentially hazardous fumes, odors, dust, gases, and acids). Physical conditions include close proximity to moving mechanical parts.
POSITION QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering preferred but not required. Formal training and/or certifications in CAD design, welding, milling, or PLM programming are ideal.
- A minimum of 15 years overall experience of increasing responsibility in production related roles including a minimum of 2-3 years of machine building and fabrication including welding, piping, machine construction and experience with sheet metal.
- Experience building or administering machine diagnostics and repairs including work on bearings, shafts, panels, pumps, valves, and rotating assemblies. Diagnosing mechanical rotary equipment is ideal.
- Knowledge of instrumentation, fluid systems, pressure vessels, and coating solutions is ideal but not required.
Skills and Abilities (May be representative but not all-inclusive, of those commonly associated with this position):
- Possess a wide breadth of knowledge in mathematics, physics, and mechanics
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated organizational skills
- Ability to effectively lead and direct employees for the successful completion of projects and goals
- Strong attention to detail and ability to demonstrate efficiency
- Ability to build and maintain positive vendor and customer relationships
- 10% occasional overnight travel; intermittent day travel to local facilities
Machines, Tools, Equipment, Software and Work Aids (May be representative, but not all-inclusive, of those commonly associated with this position):
- Working knowledge of metals, lathing, welding, and milling
- Familiarity with CAD software, preferably AutoCAD 2014 LT and SolidWorks 2013.
- Familiarity with welding processes, tools, etc. (No actual welding experience necessary.)
- Familiarity with operating forklifts helpful
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word, Excel