Optical Filters Research Scientist
- Job Title
- Optical Filters Research Scientist
- Job ID
- Beavercreek, OH 45431
- Other Location
- Offsite - WPAFB - MaRSS
We are looking for a qualified candidate to support on-base research efforts in support of the Air Force Research Laboratory, Materials and Manufacturing Directorate, Functional Materials Division, Photonic Materials Branch (AFRL/RXAP). At the broadest level our research group plans, directs and conducts in‑house and extramural research and development of materials technologies with an emphasis of functional applications with sufficient maturity to transition to the warfighter. The candidate will collaborate with a cross-disciplined team of government, civilian, contractor, and industry personnel to execute the following technical tasks and achieve Air Force and other agency warfighter objectives:
- Assess and analyze photonic (direct-energy related UV and visible) threats
- Intake threat data to design and optimize human sensory protection mechanisms/devices using static and/or dynamic materials technologies such as dielectric filters
- Collaborate with branch team to engage senior leadership in various agencies and departments to communicate within the technology field
- Author technical reports and presentations concerning visual threat impacts, protection mechanisms, materials design, etc.
Skills and Core Competencies:
A core focal area is the development of material systems to protect against photonic energy. This includes the development of aircrew laser eye protection systems involving both absorptive and reflective based technologies, and both static and dynamic (temporal and spectral) advanced filtering technologies.
- Chemistry, physics, and mechanics of UV/VIS/IR technologies
- Design of dielectric filter technologies, dielectric stacks
- Materials expertise related to dielectric materials (e.g. oxides)
- Knowledge and experience with processes for applying dielectrics to polymer and/or ceramic (glass) substrates (e.g. deposition, sputtering)
- Measurement and analysis of optical filters (XRD, SEM/TEM, spectrophotometry, etc.)
- Composition-microstructure-property relationships
Other Experience, Qualifications, Certifications and Education Requirements:
Candidate must be a U.S. Citizen
Must have or be able to obtain a military clearance at Secret level, must be able to retain clearance through period of performance, and must be eligible for upgrade of clearance as needed (e.g. SCI, SAP/SAR)
- Master’s degree or Ph.D. is strongly preferred
- Computer-aided optical device/system modeling
- Experience working in Air Force facilities
- Experience modeling photonic and visual elements and systems
- Experienced with MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Database knowledge, design, and use
- Ability to accurately and succinctly communicate (oral and written) detailed technical material to non-technical and/or non-specialized persons
Must have ability to travel, primarily CONUS, on average of 10% of the time but occasionally more frequently.
Azimuth Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status.
- Required Skills