DBA Manager (SQL Server 2016 - 200+ Servers-3 Data Centers, 15-20 Hadoop Data Nodes)
- Job Title
- DBA Manager (SQL Server 2016 - 200+ Servers-3 Data Centers, 15-20 Hadoop Data Nodes)
- Job ID
- Ann Arbor, MI 48104
- Other Location
Title: DBA Manager (SQL Server 2016 - 200+ Servers-3 Data Centers, 15-20 Hadoop Data Nodes)
From our start in 2009, Conexess has established itself in 3 markets, employing nearly 200+ individuals nation-wide. Operating in over 15 states, our client base ranges from Fortune 500/1000 companies, to mid-small range companies. For the majority of the mid-small range companies, we are exclusively used due to our outstanding staffing track record
Who We Are:
Conexess is a full-service staffing firm offering contract, contract-to hire, and direct placements. We have a wide range of recruiting capabilities extending from help desk technicians to CIOs. We are also capable of offering project based work.
The Database Manager is responsible for leading the SQL Server database architecture and engineering team in the design, installation, configuration, upgrade, maintenance and overall performance planning and management of databases in the hosting environment. This positon will be engaged, accountable and drive delivery execution while collaboration with various stakeholders (Project Managers, Operations Team, Converged Infrastructure Team, Network Team, Business Users)
Accordingly, this position will be responsible for all efforts to implement mature technical operations management disciplines by implementing Best in Class, Industry operations processes. This position will be responsible for new Database driven projects including: prioritization, estimation, scope, delivery and support. This position will have responsibility for managing direct reports, working with matrix management of a global infrastructure project delivery teams.
- Bachelors’ degree in business administration, computer science or management information systems with at least five to seven years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience (systems consulting experience desired).
- At least five years’ experience in IT operations leadership role.
- Familiar with 3 tier web application architectures.
- Work experience with SQL Server implementation and operations (SQL Server 2016 preferred)
- Familiar with building and operating scalable, highly available, mission critical applications.
- Work experience with and strong understanding of SOA & application/enterprise architecture concepts, standards, patterns, and best practices.
- Work experience with project management tools such as Microsoft Project.
- Ability to balance multiple demands and work both independently and as part of a team.
- Professionalism in dealing with all levels of management and staff.
- Excellent negotiation and organizational skills with ability to orchestrate change through influence.
- Ability to adjust to multiple demands, address shifting priorities, and to champion change.
- Ability to be decisive and take into account long and short term consequences of decisions.
- Excellent organization and management skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and coordinate the work of others.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal, conflict resolution, and customer service skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, high volume, deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to understand customer needs and manage expectations
- Candidates MUST have excellent communication. Looking for someone that is not only technical, but that can stand up in front of our leadership teams and customers and discuss what is going on in our environment.
DBA Manager is responsible for following:
- 5 team members
- 4 different database eco systems
- eComm env (24 x 7 high throughput transactional systems with 99.999% uptime requirements)
- Data Warehouse environment (24 x 7 high volume env with 99.99% up time requirements)
- CORP env (some at 24 x 7 and others at lower availability requirements with anywhere from 99% to 99.99% up time requirements)
- Hadoop Big Data environment with 270 TB data space and 12 to 20 data nodes
- Total database servers – 200+ spread across 3 different data centers with AlwaysOn Availability Group technology
- Predominant SQL Server version – 2016 and 2014 (there are 2000 to 2008 versions in the environment too)
- Overall data volumes – 1 Petabyte (PB) +
Primary Responsibilities – Strategic Operations·
- A leader of leaders who has proven experience in building and leading a diverse, highly motivated, and effective team.
- Strong executive presence and ability to distill complex information into consumable and actionable themes for an executive audience
- Experience in leading and influencing a globally diverse group of employees and suppliers across multiple disciplines and platforms
- Previous proven experience building scalable solutions / programs
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a dynamic and high-pressure environment
- Exceptional ability to collaborate, to openly communicate, present and negotiate effectively across disciplines and groups, with suppliers and customers.
- Sound judgment and decision-making skills, ability to juggle multiple competing priorities, and ability to work under pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- A strategic thinker that understands the capabilities of technology and how to leverage those capabilities to achieve business results
- 10+ Years’ experience operating in mission-critical, 24x7x365 production environments built on SQL Server
- Have a broad understanding of database design, standards and management.
- Ensure appropriate technical resourcing for database related projects.
- Lead team of internal resources performing engineering delivery activities for hosting projects.
- Ensure team is properly staffed to meet current and future project demands.
- Have a clear understanding of business and hosting needs and fine tune the delivery service accordingly.
- Define the knowledge and skill requirement for Database Architects and Engineers.
- Build strong professional working relationships across all levels within the organization.
- Understand best-of-breed database solutions and tools available in the market to be able to have productive conversations with clients.
- Ability to deep dive and drive technical delivery teams.
- Understand requirements and technology fit to be able to act as a liaison between the functional and technical sides.
- Have a consistent focus on the delivery goals and align activities and capabilities to meet the goals defined.
- Accountable for overall team delivery timelines and solution quality.
- Manage third-party vendors
- Continuous interaction with the external partners to onboard right experienced and right skilled resources to projects.
- Track resource utilization and recalibrate the team size accordingly
- Seek leadership support and guidance at the right time to resolve issues
- Responsible for adherence to fundamental operations processes such as Change Control, Incident and Problem Mgt, local Service Desk procedures and budget.
- Mentors other DBA’s performing related work.
- Manages vendor sourcing process as needed.
Primary Responsibilities - Projects
- Leads the collaboration with the technical managers to define infrastructure scope of new projects, document risk and assumptions, develop the delivery approach, and estimate cost and time lines
- Accountable for oversight of project delivery:
- Leads teams through all phases of the systems development lifecycle
- Creates and presents architecture diagrams to the Global Architecture Review Board for approvals.
- Accountable for the accuracy and consistency of SQL Server architecture artefacts.
- Responsible for facilitating/brokering communication between the project and the infrastructure and operations support teams.
- Implements SQL Server technology based on globally accepted standards for support and maintenance
- Insures delivery of complete project documentation to include scope, requirements, architecture, operational instructions, run books and troubleshooting information.
- Partners with development teams to ensure that our infrastructure scales to meet the needs of new products.
- Required to be on-call as needed for emergency situations.