Manager – Application Development – Healthcare
Talent Orchard has an immediate opportunity for a strong leader in the application development space with experience in a healthcare environment. In this role you would be responsible for managing the Application Development team through the Software Development Life Cycle stages. Through these stages, the Manager will assume various key leadership roles including but not limited to Application and Solutions Architect and Subject Matter Expert. The manager sets standards for the improvement of application scalability, code-reuse, maintainability, and security among others, and is responsible for executing projects of various sizes and complexities with dependencies throughout the enterprise. To be successful, the Manager must have experience with Agile methodologies such as Scrum, execution of projects of different sizes and complexities, and with multiple dependencies.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leads and proactively participates in projects, programs, and action plans to meet department goals.
- Manages team member assignments on a daily basis; provides training and mentoring through formal and informal methods; evaluates effectiveness of their work product.
- Directs the application development team to ensure application architecture and standards are developed and adhered to.
- Develops and maintains strong relationships with corporate business systems customers.
- Actively seeks opportunities to lead initiatives throughout the organization.
- Partners with the Project Management Office to support all phases of project implementation and methodologies; demonstrates strong knowledge through custom application implementations.
- With a servant leadership approach, promote career advancement by empowering people to grow within their roles.
- Effectively communicate with stakeholders when risks have turned into issues and provide alternatives and possible outcomes with their respective consequences.
- Interact with stakeholders throughout the enterprise and engage them at their level, understanding their needs and internalizing their vision and roadmap and providing guidance in vendor, tools and/or technology decisions.
- Identifies and anticipates customer requirements, expectations, and needs; formulates action plans and communications these timely and effectively.
- Initiates and maintains positive relationships with IT leadership, key customers, and co-workers.
- Identifies solutions to optimize performance of existing systems and gains customer consensus of instituting changes.
- Ensures that appropriate systems are in place to provide safe, efficient, and customer-oriented service to all internal and external customers.
- Demonstrates strong communication skills through active collaboration with customers, proactively updating and alerting customers to potential issues.
- Provides strong management and oversight in support of the daily operations and associated applications.
- Responsible for oversight of security, performance monitoring, change management, and update/upgrades of custom Web applications.
- Meets with vendor representatives to discuss issues, service agreements and resolve issues in a timely manner.
- Ensures departmental standards are met and provides justification for any deviations.
- Collaborates with management of customer groups to identify opportunities to use or enhance technology capabilities for improved productivity and/or effectiveness.
- Draws on understanding of corporate business objectives, available technology functionality and departmental resource capacity to provide vision for the operational activities of assigned IT team members.
- Manages vendor and consultant relationships to ensure conformance to contracts for applications and technology utilized within the assigned area of responsibility.
- Demonstrates strong knowledge of application development methodologies and can adapt processes to maximize the team’s effectiveness and product delivery.
- Analyzes and documents user requirements and information.
- Develops detailed user interface documents, mock-ups, and prototypes.
- Leads development team to establish, promote and enforce standards that drive quality.
- Evaluates effectiveness of each team member’s overall work product; includes approach to development, language expertise and quality of processes.
- Expected to act as a Senior Application Developer at times when required for coaching or gap-fill.
- Lead efforts that require build-or-buy assessments and fully understanding the stakeholders needs and providing guidance in the decision-making process.
- Perform code reviews that focus on accountability and are used as learning opportunities for the team at large.
- Set standards around coding, project execution, project management, architectural design, mentoring from a technical standpoint, and security reviews.
- Manages the department budget, providing timely variance reports to leadership.
- Ensures appropriate staffing models are maintained and communicates recommendations to ensure efficiency.
- Partners with customers and team members to translate business requirements into viable solutions, identifying potential benefits, and re-engineering software applications to achieve anticipated benefits.
- Establishes, monitors, meets and improves upon SLAs with key customers.
- Analyze and estimate projects of any size providing what-if scenarios for stakeholders to decide between different delivery options on desired features for a given product.
- Accountable for fostering an environment that encourages innovation, continuous improvement and growth.
- Accountable for consistency across the system as changes in process, tools, and overall practice are developed, ensuring a focus on continued system integration and overall system benefit.
- Provides strategic leadership for custom application development needs throughout organization on varying platforms.
- Ensures high-availability of applications and supports robust testing standardization, validation processes, and support documentation processes.
- Provide innovative and out of the box ideas that transcend the industry and current situation.
- Interact with different areas of the business inside and outside of IT to determine how IT can partner in their long-term strategic roadmaps.
- Apply cross-industry trends and how they relevant to the healthcare industry.
- Stay abreast of the latest trends in technology and be able to take a connect-the-dots approach in strategic initiatives.
- Design architectures between internal systems and vendors for the interchange and consumption of logic and data in a reliable and secure fashion.
- Execute projects of different sizes and complexities with dependencies throughout the enterprise.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Programming, Engineering, or Business Administration. Master’s degree preferred.
- 8+ years with direct experience and accountability for application development
- Mobile App development knowledge and experience required
- Full software lifecycle development experience
- A passion for application development & mobile technologies is a must
- 5 years’ experience leading teams including project leadership and oversight of assigned work throughput and solid leadership track record of developing employees
- Will only consider candidates with hands-on Application Development experience in a healthcare environment with strong management and leadership skills
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrable skills of key technologies including ASP.NET, MVC, TFS, IIS, SQL Server, SiteCore, and SharePoint
- Objective-C or Swift desired
- Android development experience desired
- Ability to build the Application Development team in a scalable model to allow for growth and meeting the demands of the organization
- Able to conduct pair programming mentoring session with the team and coach in coding best practices and approaches
- Ability to architect applications that promote code re-use, scalability, fault tolerance and quality controls to ensure low cost to market while maximizing quality
- Ability to apply common Architectural patterns (SOA, SaaS, ETL among others) when appropriate that adapt to current and future needs
- Effective conflict resolution skills to avoid delays and missed deadlines
- Lead efforts that require build-or-buy assessments and fully understanding the stakeholders needs and providing guidance in the decision-making process
- Provide innovative and out of the box ideas that transcend the industry and current state.
- Apply cross-industry trends and their relevance to the healthcare industry
- Stay abreast of the latest trends in technology and be able to take a connect-the-dots approach in strategic initiative
- Strong leadership ability with a track record of developing people and achieving challenging objectives
- Proven ability to influence cross-functional teams
- Performance-based enterprise and strategic thinker who can manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong communication skills and the ability to understand and simplify complex material
- Self-motivated, hard-working, sociable, and driven by professional success
- An ability to quickly recognize solutions to arising issues
- An ability to identify and leverage department resources to accomplish goals
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- Relevant certifications desired (MCSD, MCSE, MCSA, CISSP, etc).
Talent Orchard LLC is an SBA (8A), Economically Disadvantaged Woman-Owned Small Business, and Woman Business Enterprise Certified firm that provides the following services to clients in the commercial and public service sectors:
- Human Capital
- Professional Services
- Accounting/Audit Readiness
- Network/Cyber Security & IT Infrastructure
- Software Development/Engineering
Established in 2010, Talent Orchard has an exceptional reputation, providing staffing solutions to time-sensitive, talent scarcity issues to deliver better talent management ROI. Our specialty lies in the critical area of program talent acquisition and resource management, not in one narrow skillset, but across many areas of technical and functional delivery.
To learn more about our other exciting opportunities, visit our Jobs Page at www.talentorchard.com.
@talentorchard @houstonjobs #applicationdeveloper #appdevmanager #healthcareapplications #mobileappdev #asp.net