- Job Title
- Technical Writer
- Job ID
- Sterling Heights, MI, MI
- Other Location
Sterling Heights, MI
6 month contract
Position Description :
- Creates and revises complex technical documentation to support the operation, repair, and maintenance of company products.
- Ensures documents conform to company and government standards and specifications and language usage principles.
- Creates and revises technical documentation using state-of-the-art publishing software technology including product descriptions, detailed functional descriptions, operating procedures, fault isolation, maintenance and repair procedures, illustrated parts breakdown (IPB), miscellaneous reports, proposals, marketing literature, or other technical documentation pertaining to company products.
- Ensures compliance with customer requirements, government specifications, engineering standards, and language usage principles.
- Researches and consults with engineering staff on systems and equipment to create and revise technical documentation.
- Analyzes and interprets engineering drawings and other technical data to translate information into technical documentation.
- May assist project writer with validating written procedures for equipment.
- Evaluates illustrations and graphics to determine how to best utilize them within documentation.
- Requests the creation of new illustrations/graphics or changes to existing illustrations/graphics.
- Ability to understand and translate engineering designs into understandable language for non-engineers and to write documentation while still maintaining the desired meaning.
- Ability to write technical documentation of limited scope and complexity, engage in problem solving discussions with cross-functional team members, provide guidance to cross-functional team members, and ensure documents are produced on time.
- Ability to concentrate, attention to detail, and command of the English language.
- Skills Required Highly developed communication skills.
- Ability to work with geographically-dispersed team.
- Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Command of English language.
- XML Authoring Tool Experience (e.g. Arbortext Epic Editor and Oxygen software), MS Office Tools/Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint required; Access a plus) Adobe Acrobat Professional PDF Software – proficient for use of illustration markups; or use of a similar PDF (electronic) markup tool Mechanical/Electrical/Operator Tech Writer
- preferred in the defense industry
- Customer Interaction/Customer Service skills required (some positions involve direct customer interface representing the client
Skills Preferred :
- Experience writing technical manuals in the defense industry (PDF and IETM formats).
- Familiarity with defense industry wheeled and track vehicles.
- Ability to read a LIVE DTD and general knowledge of Extensible Markup Language (XML).
- Validation/Verification, on-vehicle experience a plus Content Management System (CMS) experience a plus
Experience Required :
- 2 years experience with bachelor's degree/ 5 years experience without degree
- 5 years experience preferred
- Bachelor's degree or commensurate experience
- May potentially become a contract to hire position.