Senior Visual Scientist
- Job Title
- Senior Visual Scientist
- Job ID
- Beavercreek, OH 45431
- Other Location
- Offsite - WPAFB/MaRSS
We are looking for a qualified candidate to support on-base research efforts in support of the Air Force Research Laboratory, Materials and Manufacturing Directorate, Functional Materials Division, Photonic Materials Branch (AFRL/RXAP). At the broadest level our research group plans, directs and conducts in‑house and extramural research and development of materials technologies with an emphasis of functional applications with sufficient maturity to transition to the warfighter. The candidate will collaborate with a cross-disciplined team of government, civilian, contractor, and industry personnel to execute the following technical tasks and achieve Air Force and other agency warfighter objectives:
- Assess and analyze photonic (direct-energy related UV and visible) threats
- Intake threat data to design and optimize human sensory protection mechanisms/devices using static and/or dynamic materials technologies such as filters and dyes
- Collaborate with branch team to engage senior leadership in various agencies and departments to communicate within the technology field
- Work with user community (aircrews and/or other warfighters) to assess physical and psychophysical impacts of protection devices
- Work with team and user community to access and perform visual environment that impacts protection device application (e.g. aircraft cockpits)
- Author technical reports and presentations concerning visual threat impacts, protection mechanisms, materials design, etc.
Skills and Core Competencies:
A core focal area is the development of material systems to protect against photonic energy. This includes the development of aircrew laser eye protection systems involving both absorptive and reflective based technologies, and both static and dynamic (temporal and spectral) advanced filtering technologies.
- Chemistry/design of photonic dyes
- Chemistry, physics, and mechanics of photonic filter technologies
- Biology and electro-mechanics of the human visual sensory network (visual physiology, neurobiology)
Other Experience, Qualifications, Certifications and Education Requirements:
Candidate must be a U.S. Citizen
Must have an active/available clearance at Secret level, must be able to retain clearance through period of performance, and must be eligible for upgrade of clearance as needed (e.g. SCI, SAP/SAR)
- Master’s degree or Ph.D. is strongly preferred
- Experience working in Air Force facilities
- Experience modeling photonic and visual elements and systems
- Experienced with MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Database knowledge, design, and use
- Aircraft platform knowledge
- Ability to accurately and succinctly communicate (oral and written) detailed technical material to non-technical and/or non-specialized persons
The candidate will likely have an opportunity to work in conjunction with current subject matter experts for an indeterminate amount of time.
Must have ability to travel, primarily CONUS, on average of 15% of the time but occasionally more frequently.
Azimuth Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status.
- Required Skills
Minimum 10 years' experience with a Master's Degree OR minimum 5 years' experience with a PhD
- Optional Skills
PhD in fields related to Human visual science/sensory perception, neurobiology, psychophysics or human factors engineering
- Pay Range
- $115,000.00 Annually to $145,000.00 Annually