Director, Regional Economic Development
- Job Title
- Director, Regional Economic Development
- Job ID
- HOUSTON, TX 77002
- Other Location
Director, Regional Economic Development
Posted: October 24, 2017
Expires: until filled or further notice
Location: Houston, Texas (Downtown)
Experience: 7 years
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Economic Development, Sales, Marketing, Real Estate or related field
Who we are
The Partnership is a place for community-minded business leaders who want to be involved in Houston’s positive growth and influence the direction in which Houston is going. Through the dedicated efforts of our members, the Partnership addresses Houston’s unique challenges, and champions the growth and success of our region.
Since 1840, the Greater Houston Partnership has strived to make the region the best place to live, work and build a business. We serve over 1,200 member companies in the 11-county Houston region including Austin, Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Liberty, Montgomery, San Jacinto, Walker and Waller counties.
Join us as we work together to make Houston greater.
Who are we looking for today?
The Partnership is looking for an experienced Director, Regional Economic Development to market the Houston region as a business magnet to expanding and relocating businesses to foster job creation and economic growth. The Director supports our mission to make Houston one of the world’s best places to live, work, and build a business.
The Director for Regional Economic Development will lead, plan, organize, manage, coordinate, and implement programs and projects that support the attraction, relocation, expansion, and retention of domestic and international businesses; The manager will support the VP of Regional Economic Development and the department in attaining all of its goals and objectives with specific responsibility on Business Attraction.
What will you do?
Specialize in one or more of the industry clusters (energy, life sciences, advanced manufacturing, headquarters & business services, transportation & logistics, and advanced technologies). Demonstrate proficiency as a subject matter expert in assigned industry sectors/clusters. Serve as project manager throughout relocation process.
- Develop and direct various business attraction programs which focus the regional economic development efforts on the creation of new primary jobs and new investments in the various industry clusters.
- Utilize CRM System to manage a portfolio of leads (within a cluster or target industry focus).
- Work with Marketing and Research to prepare messages and identify opportunities; and conduct proactive reach-outs.
- Plan, coordinate and deliver assistance, information and services to assigned leads and prospects. Services and information include, but are not limited to, the following: marketing and community information, custom proposals, sites and facilities, special incentives, permitting, workforce development, briefings/orientation, site visits, VIP introductions, regional ally support/referral, press releases, ground breaking/open houses, and other assistance necessary to recruit and retain companies.
- Obtain and maintain knowledge of assigned target industries, industry trends and influencers, expansion/relocation factors and local companies in the target industries.
- Demonstrate expert knowledge about the industries and communities of the 11-county region served by the Partnership.
- Track a direct-contact campaign for targeted industries.
- Manage and shape agenda of the assigned committee(s) and working groups.
- Represent Economic Development and Greater Houston Partnership at assigned special functions, seminars, trade shows/exhibitions, business development meetings, missions, etc.
- Maintain regional ally network, give speeches and presentations and provide other support to accomplish Economic Development goals and market the Houston region.
- Team with International Investment & Trade team on domestic/international leads, projects, trade shows, briefings to international delegations, etc.
- Works with sites/special projects manager and on site selection projects infrastructure assessments, (proposal assessments as well as field evaluations) labor evaluations and tax abatement and other incentive assessments for expansion and relocation projects.
- Assists VP Regional Economic Development with the managing of the Economic Regional Economic Development Advisory Committee (REDAC) and its subcommittees.
- Assist VP Regional Economic Development with development of cluster task forces as they are stood up.
- Assist VP Regional Economic Development with oversight of interns and temporary workers as needed.
- Assist the VP Regional Economic Development with business plans and budgeting for assigned target industries and clusters.
- Assist the VP Regional Economic Development by coordinating with or supporting other departments on special projects related to research, public policy, marketing, etc.
- Provides supervision and coaching for assigned Managers and Assistant, including performance reviews, career development and other relevant supervisory functions.
- Other duties as assigned.
Who should apply?
The following knowledge, skills and abilities are desirable for job success:
- Demonstrated proficiency with one or more key areas of prospect advocacy (e.g. real estate incentives, finance, workforce)
- Experience working in CRM systems such as Salesforce
- Experience convening stakeholders with varied interests and fostering consensus
- Ability to analyze data, produce and summarize reports
- Strong organizational, written and interpersonal communications skills (must be comfortable developing presentations and presenting to and/or interacting with leads/prospects including high-level executives).
- Demonstrated ability to work well in fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment with minimal supervision.
- Strong consultative skills
- Preference for working with internal and external contacts at all levels.
- Preference for detail work.
- Ability to prioritize simultaneous assignments.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Professional appearance.
- Proficient in Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Project, and other software programs.
- Flexibility to work travel domestically as well as work some overtime, as necessary (travel 4-8 trips per year).
- Bilingual helpful.
College Degree in Business Administration, Economic Development, or Real Estate studies
A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in economic development, or extensive business development/relevant sales and marketing or related field. Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) preferred.
- Good vision and hearing acuity (with adaptive aids if necessary).
- Manual dexterity and skillful use of computer keyboard.
- Physical exertion includes bending, pushing, standing, and walking. Must be able to move or lift approximately 25 pounds on occasion.
Mental and Aptitude Requirements
- Job requires the ability to hear, see, and talk; analytical, conceptual, problem-solving, critical thinking, planning and decision making skills.
No special requirements.
What do we offer?
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive compensation plan and the annual salary is commensurate with experience. We also offer an extensive benefits package including paid garage parking, paid time off, medical, dental and vision benefit, and future growth opportunities within the organization. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible work environment for our employees, where people can learn and grow. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The Greater Houston Partnership is an Equal Opportunity Employer.