- Job Title
- Manager, Events
- Job ID
- Houston, TX 77010, TX 77010
- Other Location
Expires: until filled or further notice
Location: Houston, Texas (Downtown)
Experience: 5 years
Education: Undergraduate Degree required
Who we are
The Partnership is a place for community-minded business leaders who want to be involved in Houston’s positive growth and influence the direction in which Houston is going. Through the dedicated efforts of our members, the Partnership addresses Houston’s unique challenges, and champions the growth and success of our region.
Since 1840, the Greater Houston Partnership has strived to make the region the best place to live, work and build a business. We serve over 1,200 member companies in the 11-county Houston region including Austin, Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Liberty, Montgomery, San Jacinto, Walker and Waller counties.
Join us as we work together to make Houston greater.
Who are we looking for today?
The Partnership is looking for an ambitious, results driven, Events Manager who will be responsible for driving revenue to the Greater Houston Partnership by effectively engaging members and investors in activities and relationships that provide a meaningful value proposition to the member company. The Manager of Events will successfully responsible for the retention and acquisition of members through its various events and outreach.
What you will do
The Manager, Events will manage a portfolio of the Partnership’s Signature Events and major events, as well as manage lead generation and talent attraction events in order to build awareness of Houston’s economic and quality of life assets and generate new leads for the Partnership and economic development pipeline.
Overall, the Manager, Events has a key role in the organization and execution of Partnership events to ensure meaningful program delivery, an exceptional attendee experience and revenue generation.
- Creative development, production and execution of Partnership Signature and major events, business-to-business opportunities for members and economic development sales events including, but not limited to trade shows, missions, FAM Tours, receptions and conferences
- Responsible for organizing and staffing local brand activations including but not limited to Texas Bowls, Rice Business Plan Competition, SXSW and all others as assigned
- Support third party events within Partnership Tower
- When defined as necessary, manage event logistics for other departments within the Partnership
- Establish, communicate and maintain timelines, budgets, marketing plans, volunteer assignments, procedures and policy for each event
- Negotiate fees and contracts associated with event venues, catering, rentals, etc.
- Analyze event performance, financials and member involvement and prepare debrief materials as needed
- Manage sponsorships and hosted events to ensure brand consistency
- Deliver events on time, within budget, that meet and/or exceed expectations
- Travel to conduct on-site advances, inspections and day-of logistics management for events as needed
- Communicate, maintain, identify and develop community relationships and target attendees to ensure a well-attended, successful event
- Assist with implementing, monitoring and maintaining market plans, procedures and policies to ensure the Partnership continually strengthens its competitive edge
- Analyze market trends and recommend changes to marketing and business development strategies based on analysis and feedback
- Research and suggest new event opportunities to further integrate members and branding
- Prepare, maintain and monitor required event documents including invitation, agenda, run of show, post event surveys, onsite promotional items, etc.
- Responsible for continuous improvement projects in all areas of responsibility
- Ensure consistent Partnership brand messaging
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The following knowledge, skills and abilities are desirable for job success:
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to work with all levels of both internal and external contacts.
- Ability to professionally manage diverse groups of people.
- Ability to coordinate, engage and fully utilize member expertise.
- Proven project management skills.
- Ability to exercise mature judgment and tact.
- Ability to demonstrate attention to detail in all work projects.
- Excellent verbal, written (grammar and spelling), arithmetic, communication, interpersonal and organization skills.
- Intermediate or Advance level proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of CRM software and Basecamp communications software a plus.
- Ability to travel when required.
- Achievement Focus-Recognizes and acts on opportunities; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles
- Community Minded –Grounded in and cares about the community; knows the key players and organizations; represents The Partnership in the community.
- Judgement- makes timely decisions; exhibits sound and accurate judgement; supports and explains reasoning for decisions
Business, Marketing or Event-related degree or equivalent professional qualification
Minimum of 5 years of experience in all aspects of developing and managing event coordination or related field.
- Good vision and hearing acuity (with adaptive aids if necessary).
- Manual dexterity and skillful use of computer keyboard.
- Physical exertion includes bending, pushing, standing, and walking. Must be able to move or lift approximately 25 pounds on occasion.
Mental and Aptitude Requirements
Job requires the ability to hear, see, and talk; analytical, conceptual, problem-solving, planning and decision making skills.
Adhere to office safety guidelines as outlined in the employee safety and health section in the employee handbook.
The Greater Houston Partnership is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive compensation commensurate with experience. We also offer an extensive benefits package including paid garage parking, paid time off, medical, dental and vision benefits, and future growth opportunities within the company. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible environment for our employees where people can learn and grow with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.