Advanced Quality Engineer- Electronics
- Job Title
- Advanced Quality Engineer- Electronics
- Job ID
- Northville, MI
- Other Location
Summary: The Quality Engineer is responsible for maintaining and improving overall product quality in the upfront product development phases within the APQP process. This position will be responsible for quality system support for product development projects; provide inputs to product designs from a quality perspective; work closely with product development team to achieve the quality goals for product designs and reduce the risks for serial production associated with these designs. This position will work within a global organization of project teams, quality engineers, located at headquarters and plants.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
· Oversees project compliance in APQP phases with in-depth understanding of electrical quality and regulatory requirements.
· Review customer requirements and specifications as provided by the customer, internal and external. Support problem solving during deviation from quality standards.
· Interpretation of electrical engineering specifications and the ability to understand and analyze geometric dimensioning and tolerances. Approve engineering drawings and specifications with a focus on GD&T, inspection requirements, special characteristics and requirements traceability.
· Lead quality interface with Tier 1, Tier 2 and OEM customer quality teams to proactively mitigate risks and issues within the product development phases. Maintain customer quality contacts.
· Lead driver of the customer Part Approval or First Article with interface to the project team and manufacturing plant to deliver a flawless customer Part Approval package.
· Support in the development of DFMEA, PFMEA, SFMEA, Control plans and failure catalogs. Support in the definition and classification of product characteristics (SC/CC and pass through) for prototype, pre-serial and serial production.
· Participate in design feasibility and capability studies for pre-serial and serial production designs and manufacturing.
· Ensure customer requirements are traceable into the Design and Process Verification and Validation Plans. Support in DV/PV plan creation and team review of the results in order to initiate corrective actions and follow-up, in case of deviations.
· Supports the project team in developing pre-serial production control plans, safe launch plans and attending pre-production builds. Develops pre-serial build metrics and implements improvements for future builds. Supports transfer of pre-serial control plan to serial production collaboratively with plant quality team.
· Support the project team in the Launch Approval Hand-over ensuring areas of design, process, risk analysis, process control are agreed upon between design and manufacturing.
· Knowledge in engineering - electrical or electromechanical design tools (DOE, DFA, DFM, GD&T, Minitab, CAD tools, DOORS, Integrity, Perforce, CAN, LIN, Vector Tools-CANalyzer, CANoe, Mathworks, Static analysis tools such as QAC, test and requirements traceability tools).
· Profound knowledge in quality planning (APQP) and Quality Function Deployment in the product development phases.
· Knowledge of quality tools (6 Sigma, Statistics, SPC, FMEA, PPAP, First Article, Process Flowchart, control plan, methods of problem solving (e.g. 8D, 7QC, A3), Measurement Systems Analysis).
· Knowledge in the quality norms ISO9001, IATF16949, ISO14001, OHS18001, VDA6.3; Electronics: ISO26262, ASPICE.
· Basic and advanced knowledge in product liability.
· Must be computer literate, with the ability to use MS Office tools such as Word and Excel to create reports, spreadsheets, and presentations.
· Analytical: Reviews arguments and takes a systematic approach to creating and presenting new developments. Independent, structured and methodic functioning.
· Collaborative: Capacity of teamwork, cooperation and have the ability to work effectively and collaboratively with other global regions. Engenders a spirit of trust. Must be able to interface with product development engineering personnel effectively.
· Organizational: Excellent organizational skills within a team environment so as to achieve the target.
· Problem Solving: Independently and collaboratively through the use of tools, to solve complex problems. To be proactive and foresighted.
· Adaptable: Adaptable to pressure and able to work in fast paced environment
· Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret business periodicals, professional journals, and technical procedures. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, procedures and procedure manuals. Must have excellent presentation, writing, and organization skills.
· Mathematical Skills: Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
· Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply principles of logical thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.
· Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
· Must have excellent communication skills and effectively communicate in German, Chinese, Spanish and English based on region (written and oral).
· Additional Requirements: The employee may be required to travel 10 – 20% to various domestic and international locations for the purpose of conducting business on behalf of the company.
Education & Experience:
- BS in Quality, Engineering, Electronics, Aerospace, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or other technical field.
- QMB training a plus
- Certified Quality Engineer (CQE) through ASQ a plus
Certification as external auditor (IATF16949 or comparable)
CAQ System training
Minimum of 3 – 5 years in automotive electronic products in an Electrical Design or Advanced Quality Engineering role. Understanding of advanced product quality planning in the design and development phases of product development. Familiarity and working knowledge with common related product quality and regulatory requirements: