Quality Engineer- Electronics
- Job Title
- Quality Engineer- Electronics
- Job ID
- Northville, MI
- Other Location
Summary: The Quality Engineer is responsible for maintaining and improving overall product quality in the upfront product development phases within the APQP process. This position will be responsible for quality system support for product development projects; provide inputs to product designs from a quality perspective; work closely with product development team to achieve the quality goals for product designs and reduce the risks for serial production associated with these designs. This position will work within a global organization of project teams, quality engineers, located at headquarters and plants.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Drives the project team during the APQP process to ensure quality is integrated into all product development work products.
- Oversees project compliance in APQP with in-depth understanding of quality and regulatory requirements.
- Leads interface with Tier 1, Tier 2 and OEM customer quality teams to proactively mitigate risks and issues within the product development phases. Maintain customer quality contacts.
- Analyzes inspection and testing methods, techniques, process control, process improvement, equipment, MSA’s and facilities to be used in pre-serial and serial production. Ensure inspection plans are executed with capable measurement devices.
- Leads driver of the customer Part Approval or First Article with interface to the project team and manufacturing plant to deliver a flawless customer Part Approval package.
- Analyzes customer requirements and specifications as provided by the customer, internal and external. Support problem solving during deviation from quality standards.
- Interprets engineering specifications and the ability to understand and analyze geometric dimensioning and tolerances. Approve engineering drawings and specifications with a focus on GD&T, inspection requirements, special characteristics and requirements traceability.
- Assists in the development of DFMEA, PFMEA, SFMEA, Control plans and failure catalogs. Supports in the definition and classification of product characteristics (SC/CC and pass through) for prototype, pre-serial and serial production.
- Participates in design feasibility and capability studies for pre-serial and serial production designs and manufacturing.
- Ensures customer requirements are traceable into the Design and Process Verification and Validation Plans. Support in DV/PV plan creation and team review of the results in order to initiate corrective actions and follow-up, in case of deviations.
- Supports the project team in developing pre-serial production control plans, safe launch plans and attending pre-production builds. Develops pre-serial build metrics and implements improvements for future builds. Supports transfer of pre-serial control plan to serial production collaboratively with plant quality team.
- Supports the project team in the Launch Approval Hand-over ensuring areas of design, process, risk analysis, process control are agreed upon between design and manufacturing.
- Participates in internal and external audits.
- Funnels customer complaints in the pre-serial production phase and generates 8D-reports as required. Develops and executes corrective actions for the customer complaints.
- Participates in APQP team meetings as required by the project teams.
- Communicates project related quality issues, metrics and KPI’s
Education & Experience:
- BS in Quality, Engineering, Electronics, Aerospace, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or other technical field.
- QMB training a plus
- Certified Quality Engineer (CQE) through ASQ a plus