Product Engineer- Mechanical Engineer
- Job Title
- Product Engineer- Mechanical Engineer
- Job ID
- Northville, MI 48167
- Other Location
SUMMARY: Functions as primarily a design and development position with total responsibility for developing and launching into production thermoelectric based systems for our customers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
- Ensure that product is designed within various industry quality standards according to applicable specification in a safe, cost efficient and timely manner while following the APQP process.
- Act as a technical liaison between customer and project management.
- Initiate, review and release design FMEA’s, DVP&R, BOM and drawings.
- Organize manufacturing and industrial engineering related documentation for new and existing products.
- Attend, support and participate in engineering development meetings, program launches with the customer.
- Assist in the establishment of system requirements and specifications using correct engineering and technical disciplines.
- Assure that project timing, performance, and cost targets are met.
- Develop designs based off of customer requirements and specifications.
- Establish a design review team, lead design reviews and audit design progress through product life cycle.
- Assure product testing is completed, analyzed and that results are documented and communicated.
- Support production and quality departments with design related issues through product validation.
- Lead product improvement and cost reduction efforts through the product life cycle.
- Continuously improve existing product design and internal processes to increase customer satisfaction.
- Position will require domestic and international travel.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, minimum three years automotive experience (experience with automotive interiors, a plus), CAD experience using any of the following packages:
- IDEAS, Catia, Pro-E, UniGraphics, demonstrated competence in the design of mechanical and/or electromechanical systems
- Working knowledge of automotive plastic and metal forming processes
- Automotive project management experience (knowledge of APQP process a plus)
- Working knowledge of FMEA’s
- Proven record of accomplishment with product development that launched into high volume production, good communication and business relations skills.