- Job Title
- Automation Engineer
- Job ID
- Plymouth, MN 55441
- Other Location
Automation Engineer (Data Historian)
Our client is developing a modernized and unified industrial R&D test laboratory data acquisition and control system with a database-driven data historian. The goal of this system is to allow quick and efficient configuration of the data acquisition environment to suit specific tests/experiments, as well as to allow quick and efficient data organization, retrieval, and post-processing by technicians and engineers. The engineer in this role will be the key support person for the system. The individual will need to work with system vendors, integrators, and internal staff to provide continuous improvements, system maintenance, configuration, data transfer, and assist staff in post processing. This is a direct hire position in the Western Twin Cities.
- Reviews software requirements and specifications to develop an automated testing strategy for a product or release.
- Codes reusable test functions or components.
- Executes automated tests using multiple systems, platforms, environments, or browsers.
- Logs and track defects, reports technical issues to development or product management teams, and verifies fixes.
- Hands on work with lab technicians to physically set up and configure instrumentation
- Configure data acquisition hardware and software to acquire signal and data using standard communication protocols from data link through application layers
- Configure data acquisition software to interface with data historian using application layer communication protocols
- Maintain and continuous improvement to database structure
- Assist in maintenance of IT hardware, as necessary
- Generate/program automated data summaries and reports
- Provide training and ongoing support to engineers and technicians to facilitate efficient retrieval and post-processing of laboratory test data
- Bachelor's degree (Technical, Scientific or Engineering) from four-year college or university with 0 to 5 years of related experience. OR 2 year/associate degree in a technical field focusing on industrial communication systems, computer database systems, electrical technology or instrumentation with minimum of 5-10 years related experience.
- Have an understanding of the function of each category, software, protocol, or language, and have working proficiency within a category and be able to implement and use a particular language/protocol/software within the category with minimum support.
- Proficiency with Microsoft office tools, especially Excel
- Industrial analog and digital communication system protocols including: 4-20mA, RS-485, Modbus, OPC, OLE, Foundation Fieldbus, HART (Highway Addressable Remote Transducer protocol), Industrial Ethernet, TCP/IP, BACnet, LonWorks
- Experience with Engineering & Scientific data acquisition and processing tools such as: Matlab, LabView, EES, SigmaPlot
- Database Theory, Structure, and Reporting: SQL & Relational databases
- Experienced working with data historians and OPC server/client platforms such as: OSI PI, Emerson EDS, Savigent Historian, Wonderware, Kepware Kepserver EX, MatriconOPC, Indusoft, RSLogix, Rockwell, RSView or FactoryTalk
- General programming skills in one or more: C,C++, C#, VBA, Python, .NET OR JAVA
- Understanding of Programmable Logic Controllers and/or Embedded Systems
For immediate consideration apply online or email Lisa.Lindemann@nerinc.com