The mission of Mutual Housing California is to develop, operate and advocate for sustainable housing that builds strong communities through resident participation and leadership development. We strive for a work environment that is marked by honest, responsible and sincere interaction. As a team, our aim is to support each other to achieve individual and organizational goals. An interesting and challenging experience awaits you as a prospective employee of Mutual Housing.
Norwood/Glen Ellen Assistant Property Manager
- Job Title
- Norwood/Glen Ellen Assistant Property Manager
- South Sacramento, Del Paso Heights, CA
- Other Location
An Exciting Opportunity To Join A Winning Team
The Assistant Property Manager works side-by-side with the Property Manager in overseeing the day-to-day operation of the property, including resident satisfaction, wait-list management, leasing, overseeing maintenance, and ensuring their property are in compliance with standards and expectations of the Property Management Operations Manual, other stated guidelines of Mutual Housing Management and Mutual Housing California, fair housing laws, and regulatory requirements of affordable housing funders. The Assistant Property Manager should be able to assume leadership and initiative in the absence of the Property Manager, and ensure the highest quality of customer service.
Site Specific Responsibilities
- Assist Property Manager in enforcing collection procedures consistent with established policy and procedures. Monitor bad debt write offs.
- Assist Property Manager in preparing monthly accounting reports, discuss and document discrepancies. Review monthly operating statements and compliance with annual budget and implement plans of action to optimize site profitability.
- Assist Property Manager in preparing the annual operating budget and business plan for review with Property Supervisor.
- Collect all rents and other receivables due the property in conformance with Mutual Housing Management Policy.
- Coordinate the daily activities of the Maintenance Department to ensure proper response to maintenance requests, preparation of market ready vacancies and the overall quality of the community appearance.
- Assist Property Manager in performing and documenting interior and exterior physical inspections as required by your Property Manager, Property Supervisor, Regulatory Agencies, insurance company, or financial institution (i.e., quarterly interior inspections required on affordable properties.)
- Coordinate and monitor preventative maintenance schedules.
- Keep the Property Manager informed of any and all deferred maintenance. Items concerning health and safety issues are to be reported immediately to Portfolio Supervisor with a plan of action for correction.
- Ensure property compliance with all applicable ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act), and Section 504 (FHAA) regulations.
- Assist Property Manager in preparing competitive bid packages as required by approved budget and in accordance with company procedures.
- Assist Property Manager in performing written annual or semi-annual unit inspections as required for your property and follow up on any deficiencies with Maintenance staff or resident regarding housekeeping or other observed lease violations.
- Maintain an organized system for accurate record keeping including resident files, marketing information, maintenance records, purchasing, inspections, general correspondence and budget logs.
- Maintain a property safety plan to ensure safe working conditions.
- Maintain a secure and accurate procedure for key control.
- Process all required forms and ensure the timely submission of required reports.
- Keep the Property Manager informed regarding resident relations, correspondence and calls concerning resident issues. Prepare property incident reports regarding all significant issues involving accidents, injuries, physical emergencies, criminal activity and similar important issues.
- Maintain Yardi data entry of resident receipts, accounts payables, and other requirements established for the software.
- Assist in preparing and submitting accurate “Weekly Rental Report” information to the Portfolio Supervisor on Monday mornings.
- Assist in preparing Market Survey (rent comparability) Reports and ensure accuracy.
- Adhere to the resident selection criteria in accordance with federal and state regulations and company policies and procedures.
- Maintain the highest physical and economic occupancy possible at all times. Lease vacancies and apartments on notice, professionally and as quickly as possible to reduce vacancy loss.
- Develop advertisements for use in newspapers, Apartment Guides, etc., for review by Property Supervisor.
Minimum of two years’ experience in housing and/or property management. Working knowledge of applicable local and federal housing laws, including Fair Housing and Landlord and Tenant laws. Experience managing affordable housing developments, including HUD, Low Income Tax Credits, Rural Housing, and Tax-Exempt Bond properties. Exposure to/familiarity with community organizing, services, and programs.
- Relate well to people from diverse backgrounds.
- Comprehend and communicate in the English language both orally and in writing.
- Interpret and understand financial information generated from property management software reports.
- Must have own transportation, valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance that is commensurate with company policy.
- Work in a collaborative manner and in a team environment.
- Travel occasionally.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Define and solve problems.
- Understand and commit to the Mission and Philosophy of Mutual Housing.
- Working knowledge of YARDI software.
- Second Language Fluency in a language commonly used in Sacramento region.
Under minimal supervision, exercises independent discretion in performance of most job responsibilities. Exercises considerable latitude; work is reviewed to determine if objectives were accomplished. Establishes project objectives and delegates assignments. Decisions impact success of large projects, achievement of organizational objectives, and influence financial performance.
High school diploma required. Associate’s degree in Business Administration, Real Estate, or related field preferred. Certified Property Manager or similar certification preferred.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to push/pull object less than 30 pounds, walk, climb stairs and enter/exit buildings that are under construction, occasionally, without normal ingress/egress available.
- Ability to read fine print on documents. Able to speak clearly and make oneself-understood, while also understanding others using the English language.
- The noise level in the office work environment is usually moderate. However, the noise levels at job sites can be high.
- The employee is required to stand and walk, sometimes for extended periods.
- The employee is required to work in outdoor weather conditions.
- Ability to understand and relate to concepts behind specific ideas and remember multiple tasks/assignments given to others over a period of days. Able to concentrate on moderate detail in both office and field with moderate interruption. Able to attend task/function for more than 60 minutes at a time.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.