Lead Hardware Design Engineer (PCB/Circut Design)
- Job Title
- Lead Hardware Design Engineer (PCB/Circut Design)
- Job ID
- Troy, MI 48084
- Other Location
TITLE/POSITION: Sr. PCB/Circuit Design Engineer - PRODUCT DEVELOPEMENT ENGINEER -Electronic Controls
From our start in 2009, Conexess has established itself in 3 markets, employing nearly 150+ individuals nation-wide. Operating in over 15 states, our client base ranges from Fortune 500/1000 companies, to mid-small range companies. For the majority of the mid-small range companies, we are exclusively used due to our outstanding staffing track record
Who We Are:
Conexess is a full-service staffing firm offering contract, contract-to hire, and direct placements. We have a wide range of recruiting capabilities extending from help desk technicians to CIOs. We are also capable of offering project based work.
Support the design and development of electronic controls for coolant pumps, diverter valves, throttle bodies, and related electronics.
- Design and support control electronics for pumps and valve using brushless and brushed motors from 10W low voltage through 1200 W high voltage using both firmware-based microcontroller solutions and application-specific motor controller chips.
- Understanding of hardware and software tradeoff issues in microcontroller designs.
- Design of MOSFET and IGBT power control circuits from 1 amp to 20 amps and from 12 V to 400VDC input.
- Ability to design multi-layer high density mixed-signal printed circuit boards handling currents over 20 amps and voltages of 500 V.
- Design circuits that will conform with automotive transient specifications and ESD requirements.
- Ability to design circuits and PCB’s to minimize EMC and EMI problems.
- Familiarity with common automotive communication protocols (PWM, LIN, CAN, SENT) and their design implication.
- Select, interface, and approve vendors of standard and custom electronic components.
- Ability to create detailed Bills of Material and performs initial price estimates with cost tradeoffs.
- Ability to interpret and execute automotive specifications and design requirements and limitations
- Experience with high temperature (-55 to +150C) designs and component selection.
- Participate and lead design reviews for internal & external Customers.
- Familiar with simulation tools to analyze circuits and systems.
- Ensures design for manufacturability, test, and reliability.
- Participates in the complete product development cycle, from initial product specification to product release.
- Transfers and follows designs through test engineering and manufacturing engineering.
- Keeps adequate records and provides documentation on all projects
- Familiarity with designing circuitry that operates over the wide range of automotive temperature and power conditions.
- Need to interface productively with Firmware design engineer and cross-functional team.
- Insure all customer performance and durability specifications and requirements are met.
- Support component and end item manufacturing process development and optimization. Parts and systems are to be designed for manufacturing.
- Initiate and support engineering verification (EV), design validation (DV) and production validation (PV) product testing.
- Support product prototype builds.
- Support Customer related technical issues
- Support purchasing with the supplier selection process.
- Support product cost estimating efforts.
YEARS EXPERIENCE: Minimum 3 years of experience in circuit design for electronic devices including microprocessor controllers and power electronics for harsh environments.
DEGREE: Bachelors Degree Electrical Engineering or (higher)
- Knowledge of and experience with mainstream 8/16/32-bit microcontrollers with AEQ-100 ratings such as ARM, Microchip PIC, Freescale, STM etc.
- Hands ON PCB design experience
- Experience with schematic capture and PCB layout tools (ALTIUM big plus)
- Strong troubleshooting and analysis skills.
- Must be able to bring up a new PCB and circuit design from concept through implementation and revision
- Experience with circuit simulation tools.
- Experience in product development and design-for-manufacturing.
- +Familiar with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project)
- BLDC 3-Phase and Brushed DC Motor design experience a BIG plus.
- Basic understanding of microcontroller firmware and methodology in order to formulate proper circuit design decisions
- Practical working knowledge of: FMEA, APQP, PPAP, and DV & PV testing.
- Ability to understand and apply automotive powertrain engineering specifications.
- Ability to work independently and within a cross-functional team environment.
- Must have a self starting, proactive and resourceful mindset.
- Good analytical problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Able to understand customer functional and packaging needs and design/develop cost effective solutions.
- Ability to work alone and in a team to determine optimal, robust engineering designs and materials for various products, applications and system components.
- Ability to simultaneously engineer products with consideration to and involvement of manufacturing engineering such that the products are designed for cost effective, robust manufacturing process.
- Must be capable of evaluating various supplier processes and select those optimal for the product.
- Able to determine required EV, DV and PV testing to prove-out/validate designs.