Systems Automation Engineer
- Job Title
- Systems Automation Engineer
- Job ID
- Ann Arbor, MI
- Other Location
Our customers are the Internet - from content providers to network operators. There's no shortage of data in these environments; the challenge is to turn that data into actionable information for everything from strategic business decisions to automated network operation. Sitting at the intersection between networking & data science, the biggest players in the industry are turning to us for answers.
We are a small, but quickly-growing team including some of the minds behind the original Internet (NSFNet), the security that defends over 85% of Internet backbones, & cutting-edge research into big data science & visualization. Come join us — we're advancing the state-of-the-art in network intelligence.
As a member of the system engineering team, you will be integrated with our development teams - constantly striving for automated & efficient operational process improvements. Working closely with other developers, you will help design systems that are resilient to failure amidst exponential growth. You will help build & improve tools for systems management and monitoring. If you’ve been looking for a chance to work with next-generation tools in a fast-paced, collaborative environment, this might be your opportunity.
Successful candidates will possess demonstrable expertise in Linux-based operating systems along with software engineering experience. We are a Python shop using SaltStack for configuration management, AWS for cloud infrastructure, Bamboo for continuous integration and Docker for application packaging; familiarity with those technologies will also be helpful. Past experience in a SRE (Site Reliability Engineer) role or similar position emphasizing the DevOps philosophy would be beneficial.
• Provide technical leadership and consultation with regards to practices, procedures and techniques with a focus on system level operations
• Own the direction and management of our in house monitoring solution currently based on statsd, collectd, graphite and grafana
• Support & foster cross team communication with a focus on resolving issues with a sense of urgency
• Participate in a Pagerduty rotation to support what you build
• Provide subject-matter expertise during design sessions & technical reviews
• Demonstrable expertise with Linux systems
• Experience with one or more configuration management platforms, such as SaltStack, Chef, Puppet, etc.
• Experience in at least one compiled language (C, Java, etc.) & a dynamic language (Python, Clojure, Ruby, etc.)
• Understanding of large-scale complex systems from a reliability & scalability perspective
• TCP/IP networking knowledge
• Familiarity with principles and practices of infrastructure & application monitoring